pH dropping very rapidly :/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrono1081

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

I've been spamming the forum with my tank cycle but today I tested the water and my pH plummeted and I have no idea why. I was away yesterday and couldn't test the tank, but today I tested it and the pH in my quarantine tank dropped significantly, and the pH in my main tank is starting to drop too and I'm not sure why :/ It went from 6.8 to 6.0 in two days in one tank and 6.8 to 6.6 in another tank in two days.

(Also I am currently dosing with ammonia so the low ammonia will be back up. The ammonia is dropping very rapidly and I have to dose almost daily)

Any recommendations to bring the pH back up? I have pH Up but I know most people don't recommend using it.

Also my water, straight from tap and after degassing is pH of 6.8

vqjk8i.png

EDIT: Also I tested the pH several times today, its definitely correct and not a fluke :/

If I understand your post, you're cycling. This can use up your buffers, which help guard against pH changes. Just do a partial water change to restore them. Don't use chemicals.

Yep, water changes are in order to re-establish buffers that are being used up in the nitrification process. It doesnt take much for a ph change with your water because the ph is already on the low side to begin with. If this becomes a constant occurence, it will need to be addressed. Have you ever had your Kh & Gh checked? Most lfs use strips but getting them checked would atleast give you a ballpark idea of the buffer capacity of your tap water.

Back
Top Bottom