pH fluctuations while fishless cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PattyCakes81

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is the deal with these pH fluctuations while fishless cycling?

My pH keeps on going down even after 80% water change.

My pH out of the tap is 6.8.

Don't want to stall my cycle can someone please help me with my problem?
Any help greatly appreciated

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Do you have anything in your tank that can change your pH? I'm in NYC too and my tap is ~7-7.2 and very stable. Perhaps its something in your tank (driftwood...stone...etc). Also starting out myself but was just a thought before somebody with more experience chimes in.

Do you have anything in your tank that can change your pH? I'm in NYC too and my tap is ~7-7.2 and very stable. Perhaps its something in your tank (driftwood...stone...etc). Also starting out myself but was just a thought before somebody with more experience chimes in.
Yes I have driftwood. Maybe that is it.

PH fluctuations are common when cycling, particularly with fishless. It's normal, but the bacteria can start to die off if PH falls to mid-low 6's. SO the PH out of your tap is 6.8 but try leaving a glass of tap water out for 24 hours (stir it occasionally) then test PH again; this is your true ph and what your tank's PH should be (Ph can change from what it is out of the tap once the water gasses off).

If PH keeps falling you can get some crushed coral or argonite (sold at most fish stores in the saltwater section) and add a few teaspoons to a mesh media bag or clean (never washed with detergents) nylon stocking and add it to the filter or just under the filter intake. Keep adding/removing coral until you can get PH to stabilize at around 7. This should keep it stable so that the cycle can progress.

PH fluctuations are common when cycling, particularly with fishless. It's normal, but the bacteria can start to die off if PH falls to mid-low 6's. SO the PH out of your tap is 6.8 but try leaving a glass of tap water out for 24 hours (stir it occasionally) then test PH again; this is your true ph and what your tank's PH should be (Ph can change from what it is out of the tap once the water gasses off).

If PH keeps falling you can get some crushed coral or argonite (sold at most fish stores in the saltwater section) and add a few teaspoons to a mesh media bag or clean (never washed with detergents) nylon stocking and add it to the filter or just under the filter intake. Keep adding/removing coral until you can get PH to stabilize at around 7. This should keep it stable so that the cycle can progress.
Thank you Librarygirl! Need to wait a couple of hours for the cup I left out, to test it. I guess UT off to the pet store for crush coral.

Tested the water in the cup laid out for 24 hours. It read 7.0. I read somewhere that a pHof 6.4 is ideal for plants. Is this true?
If it is true won't this acidic water limit my options for fish?

Back
Top Bottom