Ph for a community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spokeshave

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Folks, I am really new to this type of communicating {at 71 y.o. everything seems to be a challenge].
My question is what is the advisable Ph for a community tank?
Thank You!

The advisable pH is whatever comes out of your tap. Unless you have some extremely acidic or alkaline water, use what you have. Avoid playing water chemist if at all possible. Reality is that a specific pH isn't that important, with a few exceptions, and most commonly kept community fish can tolerate a wide range of pH.

I totally agree. Find out what ph your tank settles at using your tap water and then work with it. My local water is 7.2-7.4 but very soft. I have opted for the South American tetra's etc and they tolerate the slightly high ph and probably love the softer water. Stable ph is, in my opinion, more important than the actual figure unless you are aiming to keep demanding fish such as discus. Good luck with your tank and welcome to the Forum.

My tap water is 7.5 and slightly hard. The tap water at the local fish store? Same water! I was considering adding peat to the filter to gently soften and reduce pH but then I'd worry about water changes.

Aquarium Water pH

Hi Folks, I am really new to this type of communicating {at 71 y.o. everything seems to be a challenge].
My question is what is the advisable Ph for a community tank?
Thank You!

Hello Spokes...

I didn't worry about the acidity or alkalinity of my tap water. It really isn't important to a successful tank. Just use a treatment to remove chlorine and chloramine from the water and fill the tank. Most, if not all aquarium fish you pick up at the pet store will adapt to most public water supplies. They've been doing this for decades.

Just one less thing to worry about.

B

Back
Top Bottom