Ph help - new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After this change I will be out of my aqueon water conditioner. Any preferred brand I should look for. I was thinking of going with API brand because I'm using their stress zyme. But I don't guess it really matters

Also when changing when I add water I am filling my 5 gallon bucket half way so its easier to pour in. Its kinda hard to measure the conditioner for 2.5 gallons can I just add 10 gallons worth of conditioner to the tank then add the water?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would get Prime for water conditioner. You can treat the whole tank if that is easier for you.

Ok was not able to locate prime locally. I will order it when I get low again. I was able to find API tap water conditioner. It calls 1 ml for each 20 gallons. It will be extremely hard to measure let say 1/4 of a ml if I was to do a 5 gallon change. Would it be safe to go ahead and put in 1 ml each time before I add the 5 or 10 gallons

I got a quick question since were on the ph topic instead of starting a new thred, I have an intank ph reader and its reading 8.0, but I also use test strips and they read 7.0/7.5ish...I tried testing in different areas of the thank to see if that was some how the issue and got the same, is this an thing to be worried about or is it just the reader... its a 55 and I just filled and stocked like a week ago, so I'm just starting my cycle, and I'm a straight up newbie to this whole world so. Even the simplest advice is welcome... thanks ahead of time!

I'm new at this too. My aquarium stays at 8.0 Ph . It is my understanding that most freshwater fish can adapt to the Ph and that 8 is high but it is still ok. I was informed that as long as the Ph doesn't fluctuate the fish will be ok. hope that helps. I an new to aquariums as well so I hope someone that knows more will reply

Here is what one person had to say.
Most common FW species can adapt to a wide range of pH and attempting to lower it using chemical additives often ends in a giant pH crash/massive fish death. Fish need stable pH, not necessarily a specific value.

here is an uneducated opinion. I would trust the strips over the other as long as they are in date. I guess its possible to get bad strips though.

Ok I'm sad. I got home a few minutes ago and my Platy was stiff and suck to my filter intake tube.
Checked the water
Ammonia between 0 and 0.25
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate between 0 and 5
Ph 7.8
Temperature 77

The water isn't as bad as it was. The other fish seem fine. The platy seemed fine a few hours ago. Could it be that he was used to the levels being higher and the 50% water changes got to him?

I'm just worried about the rest. I've been doing a lot of water changes. To keep the nitrites down. it was a red tailed black variatus and we also have guppies. albino corys and albino bristle nosed plecos

Did you add the recommended amount for the full volume of your tank? If not, add some. Every water change, add enough water conditioner for the full volume.

No I just used enough for the 10 gallons I removed but I added enough API stress zyme for 20 gallons and enough florapride for the 10 gallons

I just went ahead and added more API tap water conditioner

The API tap water conditioner says add 1ml per 20 gallons so I'm planning on adding 1ml anytime I do any water change

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom