PH level and fighting guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oram_uk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

This is going to seem to probably everyone else like a silly question but here goes ....

I started my tank a few weeks ago with a few guppies to get the cycle started. Sadly two of them died leaving the one left. I've waited for the levels to level out and decided to add another fish to get the tank moving and to give the lone fish some company.

Today I added guppy 2 (or Spot as 'she' calls him) and all seemed well but now they both seem to be fighting? Is this a issue with no females or a territory issue?

Either way how it best to sort this out?
Also my water is about ph 8 from tap, I'm guessing this is ok for guppies? (Obviously cleaned etc)

i agree... if possible, return them and do a fishless cycle. if you cant, you're in for a long haul and more deaths. read the links in my signature on cycling

That would seem odd as the tank is now well within cycle limits? 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and under 20 ppm of nitrate?

how long has it been set up? doesnt seem like a few weeks should allow for a cycle... if so, more power to you! Thats a very quick cycle. All males will generally fight. its generally best to have all females, though theyre not as colorful as the males. and yes, the ph is fine

Sorry, should elaborate. It's been a lot of weeks, well before Christmas anyway. My initial question was just about guppy behaviour. I'm fairly new to this so want to get it right.

When I got my first guppies, they did fight each other, even the females to females.

If you have 2 males, you could add more plants to break them up or give them hiding places, or add more females.

I found that adding more females and more plants do help, but you need like 2-3 females per 1 male.

It'll also take some time for them to settle in as well, took the guppies about 4-6 months to settle in.

When you do add more fish in, keep an eye on the water parameters, you might get a mini cycle as we did.

When I got my first guppies, they did fight each other, even the females to females.

If you have 2 males, you could add more plants to break them up or give them hiding places, or add more females.

I found that adding more females and more plants do help, but you need like 2-3 females per 1 male.

It'll also take some time for them to settle in as well, took the guppies about 4-6 months to settle in.

When you do add more fish in, keep an eye on the water parameters, you might get a mini cycle as we did.

Don't add females unless you want 100 guppies in 3 months lol

I find guppies often "fight" without causing any damage like pakistani loaches. I wouldn't worry about it unless you see them taking chunks out of each other. Maybe adding some other tank mates will distract them I found my guppies soon stuck together when old grump drarwf gourami appeared lol

Make sure the is plenty of decor for hiding places and breaking the line of sight and they will be just fine

Back
Top Bottom