ph level too high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What kind of test are you using? Strips are notoriously innaccurate, so if that's the case, take those readings with a grain of salt. 6 isn't where it 'should' be, it should be stable. Anything from 6-8 and even a little higher is fine. My tanks already read 7.8 except those with co2 and/or potting soil (because co2 and peat both lower pH)

I've been using these round little things that you actually put into the tank and they do the readings for up to 3 months. I really hope they are accurate! I don't a single thing about fish tanks and am trying to get one started for my 11 year old son. His goal is to have a tank with sharks, etc because they "look so cool". The problem is that I took a sample of water to Petsmart, they did a sample and said things were good to go. I bought two "hardy" fish and they died within hours. I had the water retested, and the ph had spiked. I didn't do anything or add anything to the water. So I was left stratching my head and wondering what to do now!

IMO, your best bet is to get a good liquid test kit. They're roughly $20-25 online (usually more like $30 in stores) but you get reliable readings and dont have to take anybody elses word for it. Those in tank tests are often unreliable as well. As far as the tank, you don't have any fish in there right now, correct?

Pamala said:
I've been using these round little things that you actually put into the tank and they do the readings for up to 3 months. I really hope they are accurate! I don't a single thing about fish tanks and am trying to get one started for my 11 year old son. His goal is to have a tank with sharks, etc because they "look so cool". The problem is that I took a sample of water to Petsmart, they did a sample and said things were good to go. I bought two "hardy" fish and they died within hours. I had the water retested, and the ph had spiked. I didn't do anything or add anything to the water. So I was left stratching my head and wondering what to do now!

Hi Pamela! I highly recommend you go out and purchase an API Master test kit, they are the most accurate and I truly believe your current readings are not accurate.

I'm glad you're going to fishless cycle. I just wrote an article that can help guide you along the way...check it out if you have time :)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

No froggies for the tank. They too need a cycled tank... Airbreathers or not, as the ammonia can damage their skin.

Thanks so much you guys! You're all awesome! Okay, I'm going to get that test kit, does anyone know of a site where they have the best price?

Pamala said:
Thanks so much you guys! You're all awesome! Okay, I'm going to get that test kit, does anyone know of a site where they have the best price?

You can just go to google shopping and sort low to high, or just bite the bullet and spend the thirty something $ 's for it at the lfs. Make sure you get the freshwater one, not saltwater.

They have one on Amazon for $25, free shipping. Is that a good deal compared to what you've purchased?

Walmart supposedly has it online, only its not marked as an API kit, though the reviews say it is... I think its like $19 with free site to store shipping.... I lucked in to a sale on mine and got it for $20 at my LFS and had a 20% off coupon to go with it.

Okay, water tested perfect 6 times so we introduced one fish (something that begins with G and is very hardy, I forgot the spelling) and 2 water frogs. This is a 50 gallon tank and has had the water for 3 weeks now. Anyway, do you think it is safe to add another fish and what kind? I don't want to hurt a fish.

Yes! A blue guorami! Thanks! Anyway what does that fish get along with?

You know, at this point, I just want fish that are healthy and happy. :) My son used to want an aggressive fish (sharks), but I put my foot down and told him we need to learn the basics first. lol The people at Petsmart told me to introduce fish one at a time but I read online that schooling fish only do well with others. What hardy fish would you suggest and do you think I can introduce more than 1?

3-4 at a time is best. How about a school of 10-12 neons? And maybe 6 or 7 black skirt tetras, along with maybe 7 orange laser cories, and a bristlenose pleco? Yes you could do all those fish together, just introduce the neons all at once, as they have a fairly small bioload. The tetras could be added 3 and 3, or 3 and 4, and the cories could be added 4 and 3, along with the pleco.... That's what I would stock it with.. But it's your tank...

Yes, they are african dwarf and the petstore said they would help the tank! PLEASE don't tell me they are going to eat something!!!

Back
Top Bottom