Ph level too high in new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The2hesslers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I am new to the fish tank world so if some of the questions I ask are totally ignorant please excuse me lol. Ok so here's the problem, my husband and I bought a brand new 30 gallon bow front fish tank. We filled the tank up, added easy balance and stress + Zyme solution. We have the heater set at 74 degrees, a pump running and 2 bubble rocks in the back. We also have 1 big decoration, 3 small one, 4 fake plants and red gravel. We washed everything prior to placing it in the tank. We let the tank sit for 48+ hours and then took a sample to a local aquarium shop. When they tested it the PH was 8.2 so they advised we replace 20 gallons with water that they had there that already had the correct PH bc where we live, the city water is very high in PH. So we did this about 30 hours ago and when we replaced the 20 gallons last night we tested it and the level was all the way down to 7.4. Well we went to get the fish today and finally put them in and we tested the tank before we left and it was back up to 8.2, tested it 2 hours later I got 4 different results! The highest test was 8.6. I took 2 samples from the top of the water and 2 samples from deeper in the tank. I called the aquarium shop that has been helping us and she said to wait until about Tuesday and bring her a sample again. Oh, the water has also started to have a greenish color to it. This is my 1st tank ever and my husband has had some in the past but does not know much about them. Also we have turned the heater all the way down and we have not had the light on for over 24 hours and when we did have the light on it was only for a couple of hours here and there. Please help!! We just want some fish in this tank! It is a fresh water tank! Thanks for reading:)

do you have any real rocks in your tank? have you tested your tap water after letting it sit for 24 hours (just in a bucket)

No I haven't tried that. I did not know I was suppose to lol. Like I said, I know nothing! But I have been told by more than 1 person our city's water is VERY high in PH. Still test it?

I would, you said it would be at 7.4 then later it would be above 8. Couple of things that will raise ph is limestone and crushed coral

I would, you said it would be at 7.4 then later it would be above 8. Couple of things that will raise ph is limestone and crushed coral

I don't have either of those. I just got a bucket of water. I will post the results tomm! Thank you very much:)

And yes it was 8.2 then down to 7.4 then after changing 20 gallons from te water we got from the aquarium place it went down to 7.2 and now is 8.6 and getting greener by the minute.

I just tested the tank and my tap water and they were exactly the same, 7.4. But an hour from now it could be 8.6? Also, like I said before I got water samples from 4 different areas of the tank and they all came back different.

Few questions here. What are you testing your ph with (liquid or strips)? What are your numbers for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Next, you mentioned adding Easy Balance and Stresszyme- neither is a water conditioner that handles chlorine or chloramine which are toxic to fish and likely present in high amounts in your city water. You primarily need a good water conditioner such as Prime-the other stuff is not necessary.

Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? You will need to decide if you want to cycle fish-in or fishless. Some more info will help! :)

ok, that's a good kit. i use the same one. for your water getting greener and greener, its a algae bloom. you said you don't have your light on a lot, is your tank being hit by direct sunlight at all?

I am using the kit that you get water in a vile then put drops in. And no I have not tested for anything else bc I though my PH had to b correct before any of that mattered. And I have NO CLUE what nitrates are for. My kit has drops to test for it. Should I do it? And 100% want fish in it:)

I also have some API stress+ coat. It says makes tap ware safe. Is that what your talkig about? I have not added that. Should I? Oh these poor fish ( IF I EVER GET ANY GRRRRR) lol

I also have some API stress+ coat. It says makes tap ware safe. Is that what your talkig about? I have not added that. Should I? Oh these poor fish ( IF I EVER GET ANY GRRRRR) lol

The only thing you need is prime water conditioner. pH doesn't really matter. As long as it doesn't flactuate too much. I'm pretty sure there's something in ur tank raising it.

Read up on the nitrogen cycle. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate matters more then anything. Right now everything is probably at 0. When u add an ammonia source, after awhile a bacteria builds up and eats the ammonia. It puts out nitrites. Then eventually you get bacteria that turns nitrites to nitrates. Nitrates are less toxic then the other 2. You remove those by waterchanges.

All 3 nitrates and both ammonia a were zero. And no there is no direct sunlight to the tank. The owner of the aquarium shop said that anything over 7.4 ( PH) is too high and the fish had a high chance of not making it. The more I have researched though, I am starting to think tht is not true. The main things we want in our tank are, angel fish, dwarf frog, algae eater and a couple other fish they had there but I can't remember the name of them. But you think it's ok to add fish?

All 3 nitrates and both ammonia a were zero. And no there is no direct sunlight to the tank. The owner of the aquarium shop said that anything over 7.4 ( PH) is too high and the fish had a high chance of not making it. The more I have researched though, I am starting to think tht is not true. The main things we want in our tank are, angel fish, dwarf frog, algae eater and a couple other fish they had there but I can't remember the name of them. But you think it's ok to add fish?

Before that get prime and look up cycling (** UNDERSTAND IT AND FISH IN/FISHLESS **). Then do a 100% waterchange with the water dosed with prime.

If the algae eaters are Chinese/Siamese algae eaters they get big and mean.

Note that angelfish have the potential to eat tetras and smaller fish. What are the LxWxH Of the aquarium? May be too small for an angel.

Back
Top Bottom