pH levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phasex

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gallon freshwater aquarium with a mix of cory catfish, swordtails, guppies, and black phantom tetras. What is the optimum pH level the water should be at?

What's the PH of your tap water? Whatever your tap water PH is it's most likely fine for your fish. They'll adapt to your PH. What they don't like is fluctuations. It's best not to try to alter PH.

for the last 3 weeks thewater pH has been sitting at 7.4 but it jumped to 8.0 three days ago and is staying there. pH out of the tap has been 7.4 since i got the tank. it only jumped in the aquarium

Those levels are fine as long as they don't fluctuate too much with the fish in the tank. Some tap water can change PH over time as it gasses out. How often do you do a water change?

You could also let a glass of tap water sit out for a day or two and test the PH a few times to see if it changes. My tap water PH is 8.4 but then it lowers after a few hours to about 7.4-7.6 and stays there.

Back
Top Bottom