pH levels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platiesareawesome

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I just got my first fish tank yesterday, but I haven't set it up yet, long story. Anyway, I tested my tap water's pH, and it was 7.6! Is that ok for tropical fish? Do they need more acidic water? This is a really dumb question but am I supposed to test the aquarium water when it's set up? Or am I just making a big deal about nothing?

Thank you! :thanks: :fish2:

Oh in this hobby there are no dumb questions when you're a newbie! As previously stated your Ph is fine unless you want to breed or decide to get very sensitive fish. Since you are setting up a new tank you'll definitely want to get a liquid water test kit such as the API Master test kit, cheaper through Amazon than your local store. I suggest reading about the cycling process so you can decide if you're going to do a fish LESS or fish IN cycle. It sounds daunting but its really quite simple however it can take up to 8 wks (give or take) to complete the process. If you decide fish IN you'll want to test the water daily, do a water change if ammonia or nitrites test >.25 (some say >.5). Don't stock too heavily to start & once cycled don't add too many fish at one time. You'll want to decide how you're going to do water changes . . . buckets or get a water changer such as the Python. Make sure you have a good water conditioner such as Prime because any new water going into the tank needs to be conditioned. Sorry if you know all of this already but wanted to make sure. Happy fish keeping & ask as many questions as you need to.

Oh in this hobby there are no dumb questions when you're a newbie! As previously stated your Ph is fine unless you want to breed or decide to get very sensitive fish. Since you are setting up a new tank you'll definitely want to get a liquid water test kit such as the API Master test kit, cheaper through Amazon than your local store. I suggest reading about the cycling process so you can decide if you're going to do a fish LESS or fish IN cycle. It sounds daunting but its really quite simple however it can take up to 8 wks (give or take) to complete the process. If you decide fish IN you'll want to test the water daily, do a water change if ammonia or nitrites test >.25 (some say >.5). Don't stock too heavily to start & once cycled don't add too many fish at one time. You'll want to decide how you're going to do water changes . . . buckets or get a water changer such as the Python. Make sure you have a good water conditioner such as Prime because any new water going into the tank needs to be conditioned. Sorry if you know all of this already but wanted to make sure. Happy fish keeping & ask as many questions as you need to.
Phew! Now there's some info!

And nooo, never a dumb question!

Phew! Now there's some info!

And nooo, never a dumb question!

Sorry wasn't sure how much knowledge you have & would hate for you to lose fish during the cycling process, that's an expensive way to learn. A lot of us just dive right in & ask questions after something bad has happened. I know I did. I'm far from an expert but do know a thing or two. ;-)

Sorry wasn't sure how much knowledge you have & would hate for you to lose fish during the cycling process, that's an expensive way to learn. A lot of us just dive right in & ask questions after something bad has happened. I know I did. I'm far from an expert but do know a thing or two. ;-)

Not my thread;)

Yeah I have both prime and the API Master Test Kit. I want to do a fishless cycle. Any good places to buy ammonia/ammonium?

Back
Top Bottom