pH levels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rin2809

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We finally ordered a testing kit to do at home testing rather than relying on store testing. The bad news is it took loosing 2 Cory cats in quick succession to finally prompt me to buy it.

Did some testing today, and the good news is almost everything looks spot on, with the exception of the pH level. (0 nitrites, 0 ammonia, 20 nitrates)

The pH seems pretty off the charts, was way above the 7.6 on the normal test so I did the high pH test and it came in somewhere around 8.6. We have 2 guppies 1 Cory cat and 3 ghost fish still going strong.

I am assuming the high pH is a problem? And how to we bring it down without harming the fish?

I wouldn't think it's high enough to kill them but that is high.

You can use Indian almond leaves or a bag of peat moss in your filter to help naturally bring it down.

Caleb

You can go the natural route by adding driftwood or leaves such as oak or Indian Almond. Did you test the Ph out of your tap just to be sure it's not something wrong in the tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brennae is right, test your tap water. Run off a bucket of tap water, leave it to stand for 24 hrs, then test it. I would suggest Ph, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Kh and Gh. Then you will have a base level reading to work from.
I am amazed at how many of my friends have never tested their tap water. In the end it's far easier to work with your source water than continually fight it to try and make it into something different.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

Back
Top Bottom