Ph levels to high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

winstonsmith84

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! New to this forum and as well to having an aquarium. I have a 10g tank which I now know is overstocked. I thought, according to the lfs guy that leaving the tank cycle for a week would establish a setup. After hours if exhausting research I am now in the know. After of course having bought my daughter her fish.

So, I'm not looking for answers on how to cycle with fish in (not recommended her I've seen but it's already begun) as I've exhausted my research efforts and am up to speed on the process. In doing water changes every day (25-45 depending on ammonia levels).

My question has to do with ph. Before I realized that ph straight from tap will change within 24 hrs, usually higher, I couldn't understand why my tanks oh was increasing. I now know.

I just completed a 30% water change (yes I de-chorinated) and prior to was at around an 8+ ph level. I'm now at 7.4. My tap comes out @ 7.4-7.8 and 24 hours later is approx 8-8.2. I know that the tanks ph will increase come tomorrow.

In my research I found somewhere that peat moss will help in decreasing the ph levels. I have a bag of sphagnum peat moss that I've used to grow plants in a bag. Can I use this or do I need to get pm from the pet store? Can it be placed in the filter cartridge at the bottom?

Appreciate any feedback.

Also, I realize fluctuating ph levels are not good. That's why I'm trying to figure out how to bring it down to a consistent 7.2-5. Thanks.

Welcome to AA!!

Have you tested your tap water ph independent of your tank (straight from the tap then after it has aerated for 24hrs)? You should rule out that its your tap water itself and not something in your tank causing the jump in ph. A rise in ph in your tank may indicate that something such as the substrate is affecting the ph.

What type of fish is this tank stocked with? Some fish prefer higher (or lower) ph levels but generally, most fish are adaptable.

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes. I've been testing the ph when I put in and 24 after. It spikes next day always. (Inside and out).

As for what is in tank, I know I'm over stocked. I had hit a level of 4 am when I got my first API two days ago. I'm currently running between 0-.25. I've done several wc's. So I understand what I need to do there.

10 gallon tank (again yes I know)

4 mollies (approx 2 inches each)
1 pleco (about 3 inches)
2 glow fish (I have a smaller tank [2.5] that was going to keep them in but since have learned that they're school fish and need more. So I am now investigating into a bigger tank. Also the 2.5 tank spiked an 8 ammonia level. So I took them out and am cycling the small tank).

I knew nothing two days ago!! I've researched and know a lot now. (I threw out a perfectly good bio bag a day ago , and today would cut it up and put it in filter! So I've learned.)

So I check my levels. Everyone is happy. I am investigating bigger tank so I can move fish around. Right now I just want to balance ph levels so there isn't a problem for them to breath.

Thanks for anyone getting back to me.

I didn't plan this correctly but am a lover of animals so will correct the situation accordingly. M

So if you leave your tap water in a cup for 24hours your ph is at 8.2? What are you testing with strips or liquid?

Was the yes to the ph being at 8 if you let it sit out for 24 hours in a glass with prime?

Was the yes to the ph being at 8 if you let it sit out for 24 hours in a glass with prime?

This is important here in order to figure out if it's the tap water or something in your tank affecting it.

To figure out your 'actual' ph, set out a container/bowl/bucket of tap water with a bubbler/airstone. If you don't have an extra aerator, give the water a good stir once an hour or so to help release dissolved gasses. After 24hrs, test the ph in the container and let us know how this reads. This will be your true ph.
:)

I have not been able to "prime" the water for 24 hours to get a reading. But I did let some water sit out for 24 hours and tested it. It's around 7.6 not as bad as I thought. But now I have another issue where I will start another thread about: re ammonia and tetra safe start.

Thanks for everyone's help. The tanks ph level seems to be a constant 7.4.

While it's might be good to try and keep the pH stable enough, keep in mind that it could be fluctuating because you are cycling the tank. So perhaps the pH will level out once the cycle is completed?

I have not been able to "prime" the water for 24 hours to get a reading. But I did let some water sit out for 24 hours and tested it. It's around 7.6 not as bad as I thought. But now I have another issue where I will start another thread about: re ammonia and tetra safe start.

Thanks for everyone's help. The tanks ph level seems to be a constant 7.4.

Prime is just a type of water conditioner. And we now no your ph should be at 7.6. So what's all in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom