Phosphates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thras

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I have a low light planted aquarium for now and will later be doing a high light are phosphates good or bad? If there good at what levels?

Well, you need phosphates for the plants, but too much may bring on algae. It is usually a bit of trial & error to find the right balance, but usually around 1/10 the level of nitrates is a good place to keep phosphates.

For low light tanks, you don't really need to worry about adding ferts. But once you get into high light, then adding a balanced fert (nitrate, phosphate & potassium + trace elements) is needed. <As well as CO2.> You might want to read up on the different fert regimes (eg EI) before you turn the lights up.

+1 My N-K ratios have been all over the place in my high-light tank and the only time I've had algae issues was due to extra micros in the water. I cut back on the micros and no algae issues, even though my tank bottoms out the nitrates daily.

Back
Top Bottom