Picking up a new (used) tank - best way to preserve "cycled status?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abemas

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm going to pick up a used 55 today and the seller still has the tank established (3 fish.) I don't anticipate being able to setup the tank until early next week but I'd like to avoid having to do a long cycle to reestablish appropriate levels in the tank. They have asked me what prep I want done to the tank but I'm not sure what to tell them. Will keeping the gravel and filter wet until I'm ready to set the tank up again maintain the integrity of the system even if I don't have fish in there? If so, how long?

Any help you can give would be much appreciated!

If you're not setting the tank up for a few days, what are your plans for the fish? If you keep them in a Rubbermaid bin, you can run the filter and keep it active. Keeping the gravel wet couldn't hurt either.

Like was said, keep the fish in a container where the filter can run.. You'll need a heater in there and an airstone would help. Why not use the opportunity to clean the whole thing. Rinse the stone, rinse/clean the tank... Refill, condition, heat. Then start off with a nice new clean tank.,

one thing to consider... if you dont keep the fish or dont keep the gravel and filter with fish, you will have to provide some source of oxygen and ammonia to the filter and gravel or it will lose the bacteria... I agree with captain ahab though, why not start fresh?

When you rinse the gravel make sure you use dechlorinated water so you keep the bacteria alive as much as possible. One easy way is to fill a bucket half way dump some of the gravel in, before all the gunk has a chance to settle take the gravel out.

The bacteria can feed off fish food to keep it alive without fish.

Those magic erasers by Mr. Clean work good to clean a glass tank. I haven't tried them on acrylic yet. Make sure you get the ones without cleaners or perfumes in them.

Back
Top Bottom