Planning 10g tropical tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Comunista

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What do you recommend I get? I was thinking perhaps some tetras, followed by one .25 inch puffer. Suggestions?

Well, I'm fairly new, but 10 gal. is too small for any puffer I've ever heard of. They are generally very territorial, and even the indian dwarf puffer is reccomended for a minimum 30 gallon tank. As far as tetras, depends on what kind of tetra and how many...

That doesn't mean they will stay that size. I'm just telling you what I know, but again, I've never seen any puffer species whatsoever that should be housed in a 10 gal tank.

If you're talking about the dwarf puffer (I've seen them at my local petsmart) they do stay small (1 inch at adulthood) and are strictly freshwater. Just a reminder...if you buy fish at any of the LFSs they're usually juveniles so (ideally) will grow, often faster than you'd imagine if you care for them well.

Everything I've reads say they are extremely territorial as they become mature and I've seen recommendations of 3-5 gallons per fish to minimize aggression. That said, they're supposed to still be quite aggressive and be kept in a species only tank. So I'd guess you'll need either your tetras or the puffer.

Some people say they're difficult to feed as well...some can only get theirs to eat live food (they are predators) although others have done ok with flakes/pellets.

That said...if you want just them...they sound a bit difficult, but I agree... they'd be great fish to get!. :)

But those would be tiny puffers..could I put a snail, or something else with the puffer?

They eat snails (one of their natural food sources). Otos are the only thing I've seen people recommend. There is an entire forum dedicated to dwarf puffers (dwarfpuffers.com) that has lots of advice. (I'm debating myself if I can have a small tank with one or two...) Good luck.

I have a 5gal dwarf puffer tank(planted) with
1 dwarf puffer
2 ottos
6-ghost shrimp
3-amano shrimp

Have you ever had a planted tank before? dwarf puffers are the perfect fish to have in a planted tank but it is not needed. For a 10gal i would put

3 dwarf puffers
3 otos
and a whole lot of cleaner shrimp(whatever type you want)

What do you think?

I am convinced. I will start cycling the water, substrate and plants.

I'm thinking of buying any plant that provides some sort of "shelter" for my future puffers to "hide." Or something like that. I don't know what kind of plants, but I'm certain to get plants that provide enough shelter and coverage for their privacy.

Back
Top Bottom