Planning ahead....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am doing research, research, research on what the best tank mates will be for my betta once I change him to his new 10 gallon tank.
I read an old thread on here where there were several recommendations for the small catfish (cory and panda). My only question with these is that it seems they like their water a lot cooler than a betta would prefer....is it too much of a difference to worry about or is it okay? I found one website that said panda cories like their water to be 68-75 degrees and then another website that said 71-82 degrees. That is a huge difference to me. If the 71-82 degrees is correct, then a betta would be happy in those warmer temps. One website I found about peppered cories said they like their water to be 68-75 degrees, again is that too cool for the betta? Mine, at this point, in his 2 gallon tank, is used to a steady 78 degrees.
Also, another question regarding tankmates....Since I am in the process of cycling my 10 gallon tank right now I have been wondering that when the time comes to add fish, should I get my new additions first and put them in and then wait a day or so and introduce my betta? Since they are territorial, would he be less territorial if I added him to a tank that already had inhabitants?
And yet another question....when the time comes to put my betta in his new tank what is the best way to do it? I know I will drop the temperature down to what he is used to now, which is around 78 degrees. But what else, since it will be cycled will it be okay to just drop him in the tank or does he need to have some of the new tank water added to him in a small bowl? I hope these don't seem like trivial questions. I just want to do it the right way!

I am doing research, research, research
Always the wisest course of action.

My only question with these is that it seems they like their water a lot cooler than a betta would prefer...
Although cold water and tropical fish do best at certian temps, most all of them can do ok at 72-78. A consistent temp is more important than a specific temp. Both sets of fish will need to be acclimated to the new temp. (See below.)

should I get my new additions first and put them in and then wait a day or so and introduce my betta? Since they are territorial, would he be less territorial if I added him to a tank that already had inhabitants?
This sounds like a good idea. I know it works for Cichlids.

And yet another question....when the time comes to put my betta in his new tank what is the best way to do it? I know I will drop the temperature down to what he is used to now, which is around 78 degrees. But what else, since it will be cycled will it be okay to just drop him in the tank or does he need to have some of the new tank water added to him in a small bowl?
You want to acclimate both your Beta and the new fish you're bringing home from the store. This involves both temperature and chemistry. I'd be less worried about your Beta, since the new tank is filled from the same water source as all his water changes. The small bowl could work, or you could drain a bit of water from his existing tank and have one less transfer for him to endure.

For the new fish, just float the bag in the water until the temperatures match. Then do a 25% water change in the bag. TROW OUT the water that came from the pet store, and add water from the tank. Give them a bit more time to acclimate to that. The number of water changes depends on the sensitivity of the fish you're getting. 2-4 changes are fine. I usually space acclimation out over a couple hours. I have a setup where I can "drip acclimate" to slowly add tank water instead of doing the water changes. Over 2 hours, we go to about 75% new tank water. Net the fish out of the acclimation container, and put him in the tank. TROW OUT the acclimation water. You don't want any nasties that may have been in the pet store water to go into your tank.

Since you're adding the new fish first, you may want to wait a few weeks to make sure they are healthy before moving your Betta fish. If you were moving the Betta first, I'd suggest using his old tank as a QT to observe the new guys separately for a few weeks before putting them in your new tank.

Back
Top Bottom