planning ahead for my 20 gal...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocket Girl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright, so I'm jumping the gun here. Currently cycling the second attempt at a 20 gal tank. I have been cycling about 3.5 weeks and no ammonia but nitrites keep getting high so I am doing water change every couple days. However, I am trying to plan what I would like in the tank and try not to overstock it.

I have in it right now one bristlenose pleco, one dwarf rainbow and one Harlequin Rasbora. I really like the rasboras and plan to get 4 or 5 more once fully cycled of course. I also want to get 4-5 neons or cardinals (is there a difference? is there a size difference?) because I like the blue stripe to add some color, the tank is very RED.

How many other fish can I get? I've been considering a couple yoyo loaches, a dwarf gourami, or even a Blue Ram (dare I dream? 8O )

Ideas :?:

Maybe one day if I can actually get fish to live in my 20 gal I'll buy a REALLY big tank and get a whole pile of fish.

Is the rule 1" fish / 1 gallon true?

it's not really a "rule" as its more a general guideline and holds true only for 1" fish. What one needs to take into consideration is what the fish like and need.
Also i don't think that 20 1" top dwellers in a 20gal tank would work to well, but 20 1" fish with some top, mid and bottom dwellers would work much better. Some fish don't "require" alot of room like bettas. As some have already said, it isn't will my fish survive it's what can i do so my fish will thrive. I know that doesn't really answer your question but if you take your time and only add small amounts of fish at a time and observe their behaviour you should be able to tell yourself when enough is enough. Your plan sounds good though so not to say your off track.

Yes I do think cardinals will get larger than the neons. It seems you've thought about which fish swim where and how much space they need so it seems you will be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom