Planning for 10 gallon dorm tank suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWTWC

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, i have been in and out of aquariums for the majority of my life and i will be going to college in about 2 months and the only aquariums they allow must be 10 gallons or smaller and i really want to get start one when i get there. Some ideas i have had so far have been shell dwellers or some SA dwarf cichlids. Could anyone offer any other suggestions or suggest a specific shelldweller or SA dwarf? I am really open to anything and am willing to try things outside of cichlids too.

When I was in college I kept a 10 gallon with small tetras (neons etc.) and corys. I realize that's not cichlids--but they were active, sturdy and colorful...which for me were all pluses in college. :)

I'm pretty sure a lot of people keep apistos comfortably in a 10 gallon although i have never kept any myself.

I've thought about tetras but i think i want something with maybe a little more personality or something i can breed. No offense to tetras though i think they are beautiful fish.

Cories and tetras are probably one of the most popular combinations in a tank that small. As far as shellies are concerned, you'd probably have enough room for a pair of brevis in there. I'd check your water supply first before deciding though. If you plan on adding additives to your tank to match the water parameters ideal for shellies, there's a smaller margin of error due to the small tank volume.

Yeah i'm not sure what the water will be like there, but i don't think getting it right for Africans would be too much of a problem.

I actually had thought about Dwarf Puffers. Ill probably do some research soon. Anthing you could tell me from experience?

At the moment though i think i might be leaning towards apistos, maybe some cacatuoides or some borelli.

You could probably get a school of Harlquin Rasboras in the tank. They're great schooling fish, perfect for school.

sorry I had to do that...

They look like pretty cool fish. I'll have to look into them some more. I like the pun haha.

Always a plus, they're relatively cheap too. They're about 75 cents each at one of my LFS. Where are you going to school?

SWTWC said:
Could anyone offer any other suggestions or suggest a specific shelldweller or SA dwarf?

a nice colony of Neolamprologus multifasciatus "multis" would do well in a 10, they are the smallest cichlids in the world, and very interesting shell dwellers IMO

also a pair of GBR or Apistos would do well in a 10.

i also think you would be happy with a couple Dwarf Puffers, just keep in mind they need a lot of cover to break their line of sight (preferably a planted tank) and they are picky eaters.

how about "Peacock Gudgeon" Tateurndina ocellicauda or Scarlet Badis Badis bengalensis

Thanks for the great suggestions. Multis are pretty high up on my list of options. They are really cool fish.

As far as Apistos, they really interest me and i have yet to keep any. I am just a little worried about difficulty and getting a pair. Since i will be at school i wont really be able to raise up 6 juveniles to get a pair. I have an empty 20 at home right now. Would you recommend trying to get a pair formed in there before i go? I can transport fish from my house because its only a 45-60 min drive. As far as difficulty goes what do you think i can expect? I have been doing a lot of research on them but it would be nice to hear from someone first hand.

how about "Peacock Gudgeon" Tateurndina ocellicauda or Scarlet Badis Badis bengalensis

Both these fish are absolutely beautiful! I actually saw the Peacock Gudgeon at an LFS the other day but there was no name tag for it. For either of these would it be a pair? Species tank? Community?

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'll make sure to do some research.

SWTWC said:
Thanks for the great suggestions. Multis are pretty high up on my list of options. They are really cool fish.

As far as Apistos, they really interest me and i have yet to keep any. I am just a little worried about difficulty and getting a pair. Since i will be at school i wont really be able to raise up 6 juveniles to get a pair. I have an empty 20 at home right now. Would you recommend trying to get a pair formed in there before i go? I can transport fish from my house because its only a 45-60 min drive. As far as difficulty goes what do you think i can expect? I have been doing a lot of research on them but it would be nice to hear from someone first hand.

Both these fish are absolutely beautiful! I actually saw the Peacock Gudgeon at an LFS the other day but there was no name tag for it. For either of these would it be a pair? Species tank? Community?

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'll make sure to do some research.
it have found Apistos (mine have all been tank breed) to be very easy to keep, just keep up on you PWC. the biggest problem i have found is finding females, as some importers i think want to limit breeding at home. :roll: my suggesting is look into you local aquarium society and find a local breeder. this is how i got my trio (1m/2f) of Cockatoo Apistos and have been very happy with them. these do just fine in my tap water, even if it is far from what their wild reletives would have prefered.

i have not personaly kept either the Badis or the Gudgeons, but i believe they both prefer to be paired and they would be ok in a community tank.

Well i found a store near me that usually sells online but i can buy directly from them. They are selling Cockatoo Apisto pairs. I have bought from them once before and i was very satisfied. I think that seems like my best bet for now but ill keep looking. Thanks for all your help.

Here's my planted 10g....just a 15 watt fluorescent strip light. This would be a great tank for a pair of apistos or DPs

P1050067.JPG

Back
Top Bottom