Planning for a future tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkslide

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ive been keeping a betta in a 5.5g tank for the past 2 months and Im dying for more fish so MTS kicks in hard and Im aiming to get a 29g tank as my next tank. I choose this size as its the biggest I can fit in my somewhat cramped bedroom. One question I have that I just cant seem to find a direct answer to this question. Can I keep 1 apistogramma (debating between agassazi fire red and borelli opal) and 1 bolivian ram together? I expect them to fight here and there for territory but could it get worse than that? Last thing I want is for them to outright kill each other. Other than that thinking 6-8 Congo Tetras and 5-7 Corydoras (really want panda). As far as equipment goes Aquaclear 50 or 70 (whichever is more recommended), 100-150w heater, 30" Finnex Planted+ 24/7 LED. Substrate will be sand not sure what to get.

My water parameters on my betta tank is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5ppm Nitrate. 7.8 ph hardness is unknown have to buy the api gh/kh test online. Thoughts, advice? I have lots of time doing this around august - october.

I think the congos will really get too big for a 29.There are many other tetras that will work though.
I am the not Bolivian ram guy but I think you could get away with them and an Apisto.
Maybe even pairs of both if you give each a territory in opposite back corners..
The cories are going to be the bottom distraction /pest IMO to the Apisto and rams.
A fast tetra is needed to avoid the Apistos..
If not for breeding pencil fish are good with Apisto. They stay small and many say they are safe with fry.. I found different but they got along with the Apistos and were fast...

Not interested in breeding plus with pairs if they do breed they get even more defensive so I am avoiding that. Whats wrong with congos in a 29g? 6-8 should have plenty of swimming space they are only 2.75"-3". I have my heart set on these guys cause I love their appearance and they are very hardy fish from what Ive read. No interest in pencil fish personally.

Well anyway went to a really nice LFS today and saw all sorts of fish. Really liking odessa barbs right now, super active fish with a really nice unique look.

Odessa are a better fit IMO. The males are striking.
Aqadvisor is a site that can help you with stocking.
Just input tank size and filter then add fish you like .
It offers feed back on many things.
Not 'gospel' but pretty handy for quick reference.

Odessa's are great fish and easy to keep. Mine did better at lower temps. 72 - 75 degrees.

Yeah odessas are beautiful but if only 6 are recommended for the tank size might as well get something else that you can have more of hence why Im thinking about tetras. I like so many tetras so hard to choose one.

Your parameters aren't bad. Fish adapt. Here's a suggestion....3 Bolivian rams, 6 Columbian or neon Tetra, and 5 panda Cories.

Back
Top Bottom