Planning stock for a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gsdsar

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so we all know the rule, 1in of fish per gallon(except goldfish)

So how do you truly calculate that, with 3 in of substrate, and a moderately planted 55 g tank. How do I figure out how many is too many? Do plants take away from the inch per gallon?

Right now I have 4 boesmani, 2 turquoise, 2 banded Rainbows. If I figure for their adult size it's about 26 inches of adult fish.

I would like to add 2 Red Irian and 2 Praecox rainbows, along with a Bristlenose Pleco. Is that okay?

Thanks, I am many weeks from adding anything, tank just got gravel and hard scape. I am going to slowly move my current Rainbows in, then use my old tank as a quarateen tank for new purchases.

It's more of a guideline really...

I don't know about rainbows so I can't really tell you anything in that regard.

The inch / gallon rule is outdated now that we know more about fish. Now it's based more off of an individual fish's bio load. For a good base line on stocking an aquarium try AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor This will give you a great starting point. It is possible to take a tank up to 150% stocking on aqadvisor (I did) but the tank maintenance gets to be a bit tedious at that point with a difficult time keeping nitrates down.

Back
Top Bottom