Planted tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do I need to wait for my tank to cycle before adding plants or java moss?

I also would like to know what bulbs should be used? I have 2 24" bulb spots.

No you may place the plants in immediately. And on lighting it would depend on what you want to grow and how big the tank is.

33L 18T 14W

What would you recommend for a first time plant keeper?

For a first timer to make it as simple as possible, you could use plants like Anarachis, Anubius, Crypts, Mosses, or Ferns. You could use basically whatever lighting came with the tank and dose rudimentary fertilizers like API's Leaf Zone, or Flourish. And even a few hours of light per day would be more than sufficient for these plants. Anubius and some mosses can almost grow in a black trash bag buried for a month.

lol ok. it currently has a sun glow bulb not sure.... and a actinic....

I donno im a complete newb to fw and plants... I know I want some though lol.

I donno im a complete newb to fw and plants... I know I want some though lol.

Took me a while to get the hang of not killing the plants in my tank :) But it is just as thrilling as seeing your fish thrive. It's worth the headaches of starting out and getting the learning curve.

There are several ways to have planted tanks from the very simple type like the Diana Walstad that is naturally planted without all fertilizers and C02. To something that has CO2, and automatic dosing of fertizilers. You can also have DIY CO2 and a minimum of fertilizers. The best thing to do is slowly build up the the point where you are comfortable and happy with the maintance.

ya I was just looking at like java moss or ferns. I just want to add some color to my tank it looks to bare as is.

Moss and java ferns are low light and very easy plant, another one you might consider is anubia. Make sure you don't actually plant the java fern roots just tie the rhizome to a piece of driftwood or rock. You can have a very nice tank with just those plants.

if you don't mind ugly you can check out the DIY lighting I made. Can crank out a little bit more light in your tanks....

I should buy a timer cause I am getting a little bit of algae.... something to watch out for when fert and lights go above the "came with the hood" lighting.

Plants do make a world of difference ;)

Do I need to wait for my tank to cycle before adding plants or java moss?

I also would like to know what bulbs should be used? I have 2 24" bulb spots.
If you have the regular t8 bulbs in it I use the plant and aquarium bulbs by Phillips I get them at Lowe's. They are 15 watt and the spectrum seems to be alright for most of the easy plants I grow.

Back
Top Bottom