Planting a 30 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, umm, all my plants are like destroyed. What in the world happened?!!

When I clean sand I- Fill a bottle with sand Put the bottle in water upright until it stops bubbling Flip the bottle over and dump out the sand. All the floaty particles will stay in the bottle.

Sounds like a very long and slow process..

I had the same problem with cloudiness and plants dying off when I set up my tank the other week. The only things I can put it down to were acclimation issues (like melting) or that the cloudiness of the water was in a way, filtering out the already weak light. Not sure if that's a possibility but that's a theory of mine.

How do they look like they've been destroyed? Are they "wilting" and dying?

Sounds like a very long and slow process..

I had the same problem with cloudiness and plants dying off when I set up my tank the other week. The only things I can put it down to were acclimation issues (like melting) or that the cloudiness of the water was in a way, filtering out the already weak light. Not sure if that's a possibility but that's a theory of mine.

How do they look like they've been destroyed? Are they "wilting" and dying?

IT'S MUCHHHHHHHH faster. It took me maybe 5 mins to almost 50 lbs of sand. I used a gallon milk jug.

It would take you over an hour to do it the bucket rinsing way.

Are your plants shredded or are they shriveling up?

I've used playsand for years, planted and non, and I've never had any issues related to the sand. The easiest way I clean large quantities of sand (100lbs in my 75g) is the pillow case method.

Dump 20lbs or so of sand in a pillow case
Stick garden hose in the case, spray and stir sand
Keep stirring until the water coming out the bottom of the case is clear
Dump it in the tank
Repeat

Are your plants shredded or are they shriveling up?

I've used playsand for years, planted and non, and I've never had any issues related to the sand. The easiest way I clean large quantities of sand (100lbs in my 75g) is the pillow case method.

Dump 20lbs or so of sand in a pillow case
Stick garden hose in the case, spray and stir sand
Keep stirring until the water coming out the bottom of the case is clear
Dump it in the tank
Repeat

You still get cloudiness doing it that way. I've tried about every method. And mines the only one that was fast and efficient.

You still get cloudiness doing it that way. I've tried about every method. And mines the only one that was fast and efficient.

I beg to differ:

KpXw1h.jpg

The white container floating is a Cool Whip container with some holes punched in it. I flip it upside down on the sand when starting off and pour the water onto it. Once it starts floating, flip it right side up and pour water into it, the holes will soften the flow.

I literally removed the python out of the tank and snapped this pic:
Z9yPNh.jpg

I beg to differ:

The white container floating is a Cool Whip container with some holes punched in it. I flip it upside down on the sand when starting off and pour the water onto it. Once it starts floating, flip it right side up and pour water into it, the holes will soften the flow.

I literally removed the python out of the tank and snapped this pic:

What happens if you stir the sand? I'm not trying to be rude (I read it and it kind of sounded rude). I experimented with many ways, and the water would get cloudy whenever I stirred the sand to get rid of nitrogen pockets.

It settles quickly. That tank was home to 6 geos (earth eaters). They literally dug pits 2 foot long down to the eggcrate. Never had any sand get in my filter (fluval 406).

Sorry for the lack of updates, been very busy the last week. The plants all seemed to be shredded and wilted, at least before I went out for a couple days. When I came back, there were leaves popping out of the sand all around the tank! So I am pretty happy. I'll post a pic later today.

They might have been grown out of water, and the leaves will fall off as they switch forms. Any new pics? :)

Here are some pics! :)

Attachments

• image-2354500674.jpg
    image-2354500674.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 45
  • image-814965463.jpg
    image-814965463.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 42
  • image-880038893.jpg
    image-880038893.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 34
  • image-3417127825.jpg