Planting a 30 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppyman34

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, it's been a while. My aquarium has been doing great and the fish have been happy and healthy! But I hate the look of it. It looks plastic and very unnatural, so I'm thinking about planting it, but I have a lot of questions! I've done some research on it, but I've come across some mixed info, and want your guys' help on this! First, what kind of substrate will I need? I'm assuming my black gravel won't work. Also, is CO2 necessary for plants? I've heard some day it is, some say it isn't. I realize I'll probably need a different light for most plants, as this is a starter tank light. What light would you guys recommend? Also, what are some good beginner plants that can grow out and look natural? I'm also probably gonna add another nice big piece of driftwood across the centre of the tank, and plant around it maybe? Basically, I'm prepared for a complete tear down. Here's a pic of my tank right now.

Attachments

• image-638718994.jpg
    image-638718994.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 163
You can keep the gravel but I have to tell you large grained gravel isn't the best for planting many types of plants in. That being said since your planning a tear down you could go with a small grained gravel or sand as inert substrates or you could use any of the commercial aquatic plant substrates. I use Eco Complete in all my tanks but you have a ton of options. The difference between the inert sand and gravel vs the commercial substrates is that the commercial subs have a high CEC, cation exchange capacity, which means the substrate can absorb nutrients from detris and the water and hold them for use by plants.

If you use your current lighting you will have to stick with low light plants and options would pretty much be limited to Anubia's, Java Fern's, Bolbitus, and Crypts. These plants would need no liquid carbon or CO2 and only weekly dosing of a liquid fert such as Seachem Flouish Comprehensive. A very simple low light starter planted tank. Very easy to maintain.

If you upgrade lighting to something like a 2 bulb T5HO fixture or certain Led's made for planted tanks you could get a medium light tank and have a lot more plant options. But when going up to medium light you will need to use a liquid carbon such as Excel or CO2, and dry ferts with a daily dosing regime. This set up will be more expensive and a little more time consuming.

So basically you need to decide what you want and how much you want to spend.

You can keep the gravel but I have to tell you large grained gravel isn't the best for planting many types of plants in. That being said since your planning a tear down you could go with a small grained gravel or sand as inert substrates or you could use any of the commercial aquatic plant substrates. I use Eco Complete in all my tanks but you have a ton of options. The difference between the inert sand and gravel vs the commercial substrates is that the commercial subs have a high CEC, cation exchange capacity, which means the substrate can absorb nutrients from detris and the water and hold them for use by plants.

If you use your current lighting you will have to stick with low light plants and options would pretty much be limited to Anubia's, Java Fern's, Bolbitus, and Crypts. These plants would need no liquid carbon or CO2 and only weekly dosing of a liquid fert such as Seachem Flouish Comprehensive. A very simple low light starter planted tank. Very easy to maintain.

If you upgrade lighting to something like a 2 bulb T5HO fixture or certain Led's made for planted tanks you could get a medium light tank and have a lot more plant options. But when going up to medium light you will need to use a liquid carbon such as Excel or CO2, and dry ferts with a daily dosing regime. This set up will be more expensive and a little more time consuming.

So basically you need to decide what you want and how much you want to spend.

Thanks for the info! I looked up Eco complete, seems pretty pricey for a substrate, at least on amazon.ca. Would pool filter sand work fine? Typically how expensive would a 2 bulb T5HO fixture be?

Easiest plants to grow in my opinion would be java fern and java moss which would be fine with the lighting you have now and do well in gravel substrate. Doing research you might have to get a light that says it's good for aquatic plants if you plan on getting plants that are red like a scarlet temple. Java moss grows really fast and you can do some neat things with them like make a moss wall or carpet, it's really pretty and vibrant. Fish love eating it and babies are able to hide in it very well.

Thanks for the info! I looked up Eco complete, seems pretty pricey for a substrate, at least on amazon.ca. Would pool filter sand work fine? Typically how expensive would a 2 bulb T5HO fixture be?

Many people use pool filter sand and it works fine. As for the fixtures there are many brands from cheap on up. I prefer Aquatic Life fixtures as they are well made and have good reflectors. Just google 2 bulb T5HO fixtures for sale and you'll get tons of options. Check on ebay as well as amazon.

Thanks for the help guys. The moss wall Idea sounds pretty cool. I found something called Silurian pool filter sand, I'm assuming they all work the same? I'm going to take a trip to my lfs and see what they have for lights and such as well.

Apparently this is silica sand. I think I remember reading a while back about whether its aquarium safe or not? Any opinions on this?

I have dirt covered with black Diamond blasting sand. Dirt is the way to go. No dosing.

One problem with silica sand is it can leach silicates which can give you extended diatom problems.

I've been doing dirted tanks for many years with my largest dirted tank being 220g. Just because you dirt a tank does not mean you don't have to use ferts. It all depends on your lighting, what plants your growing, how many plants, and several other factors. What a dirted tank can help with is plants that are heavy root feeders such as Swords, Crypts, and Bulb plants. But over time even with dirt you have to use root tabs as fertilizer for the heavy root feeding plants.

So silica sand is a no... Hmm when you guys are talking dirt, I assume its a special kind? Or is it dirt that is outside my house right now kind of dirt?

I'd research the silica sand but I'm pretty sure it leaches. As for dirt you have to use Organic Potting Soil. Many people use Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil.

Alright, in regards to the dirt, would I just put it in as is? Or should I cover it with another substrate?

You hill want to soak it with daily wc. Put about one in of dirt cove it with 2-3. In of sand or gravel

You hill want to soak it with daily wc. Put about one in of dirt cove it with 2-3. In of sand or gravel

I'm assuming the soaking should happen outside of the tank? Also, could I cover it with my current gravel? Or would one of the other substrates be better?

Any should work. Some plants don't like big gravel. Hard on the roots. Yes soak out side the tank.

All you need to do is add about 2 inches of the Organic soil, moisten, don't wet, just enough to be able to compact it to remove air pockets, then cap it with another 2 inches of well rinsed sand, "fine" grained gravel (my least favorite choice), or any commercial substrate. Next, lay a plate or bowl on top of the cap and slowly, and I mean very slowly, fill the tank. Be sure to save some cap for touchups when needed. Then turn on your filters. Wait a day and do a 50% WC. Then see how the tank water looks but it needs to get planted heavily. Get fast growing plants like Water sprite, and fast growing stem plants and plant at least 80% of the substrate as this will help since the fast growing plants will suck up excess nutrients that will be released from the soil in the first few weeks. You can use carbon or Purgen to help keep tannins cleared from the water. Also be sure to only run lights 6 hours max daily since the soil will be releasing excess nutrients which could cause an algae issue if lighting is left on too long.

All you need to do is add about 2 inches of the Organic soil, moisten, don't wet, just enough to be able to compact it to remove air pockets, then cap it with another 2 inches of well rinsed sand, "fine" grained gravel (my least favorite choice), or any commercial substrate. Next, lay a plate or bowl on top of the cap and slowly, and I mean very slowly, fill the tank. Be sure to save some cap for touchups when needed. Then turn on your filters. Wait a day and do a 50% WC. Then see how the tank water looks but it needs to get planted heavily. Get fast growing plants like Water sprite, and fast growing stem plants and plant at least 80% of the substrate as this will help since the fast growing plants will suck up excess nutrients that will be released from the soil in the first few weeks. You can use carbon or Purgen to help keep tannins cleared from the water. Also be sure to only run lights 6 hours max daily since the soil will be releasing excess nutrients which could cause an algae issue if lighting is left on too long.

Aright, is it safe to put the fish back in after I put the water back in the tank? Because I don't have a good place to put them for more than a few hours. I assume these plants Can all grow in low light conditions?

Honestly if your not upgrading your lighting and your only using Anubia, Java Ferns, Bolbitus, and Crypts there is no need to dirt your tank. You'll have so much excess nutrients leaching from the dirt and no fast growing plants to use all the nutrients. It's an algae issue waiting to happen.

As for dirting and tank and adding fish back right away I'd be really leary about that. Don't you have a Tupperware tub that you can put a heater and their filter on to leave them in for a couple days? If you make a mess dirting or don't rinse your cap well enough and have a lot of dirt in the water the fish can have a really hard time. Sounds like you need to make a good plan before doing anything at this point.

Honestly if your not upgrading your lighting and your only using Anubia, Java Ferns, Bolbitus, and Crypts there is no need to dirt your tank. You'll have so much excess nutrients leaching from the dirt and no fast growing plants to use all the nutrients. It's an algae issue waiting to happen.

As for dirting and tank and adding fish back right away I'd be really leary about that. Don't you have a Tupperware tub that you can put a heater and their filter on to leave them in for a couple days? If you make a mess dirting or don't rinse your cap well enough and have a lot of dirt in the water the fish can have a really hard time. Sounds like you need to make a good plan before doing anything at this point.

Thanks for letting me know. I came up with a plan and want to run it by you. I researched silica sand, and came to the conclusion it is aquarium safe, as many people I have read about have used it and they have been fine. I'm not using dirt, as per your advice, but will look into upgrading my light for the long term. Now, in regards to the sand, I have switched the substrate before, and do have a large 5ish gallon pail I can use short term. I'm planning to start this thing tomorrow, but I do have at least one more question. I'm planning to change the substrate, but the plants may have to sit outside of the tank while I'm doing this. How long can they last outside the tank? And most importantly, without dirt, can this be done in one day? I'm thinking it could, and the fish could be fine for a while.

Back
Top Bottom