Platys...what now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
I currenly have 3 mickey mouse platys in my 10 gallon tank with an Aqua-Tech 5-15. I have heard so many different opinions of what else can go with my setup. I would really love to have a school of glowlight tetras, though some say it would be over stocked. I have seen many people pull off a tank that would "tecnically" be over stocked, but a small school wouldn't add that much to bio load. I would just like your opinion. If you don't think the tetras would work, what do y'all suggest. I appreciate any help. :)

I wouldn't add any tetras. The bioload would be fine, but they are pretty active for a 10 gallon. I would add either 6 pygmy cory cats or 8ish red cherry shrimp. If you wanted a few more fish, maybe a dwarf gourami, betta, or a few guppies?

Guppies are awesome, or a few Endlers. They will definitely add color to your tank! A Molly or two instead, if guppies aren't your thing. 2-3 snails, a dozen shrimp, a dwarf gourami is in my 10gal with some guppies, mollies, and a platy. They are not aggressive if you give them a "house" to hide in

In the past I had a dwarf gourami with my mollys too. They got along fine. They are beautiful fish with their own little personalities:cool:

I do like the look of gouramis, I may end up going with one of them. However I do like the look of a school of fish. Any other suggestions of a possible school that could be housed? I was kinda under the impression that glowlights were not very active.

You could keep celestial pearl danios/galaxy raspboras (same fish, it had a name change).

You could possibly keep glowlights, I'm not an expert on them.

Keep in mind that they might not school since there is no threat.

I had looked into the smaller fish like those, but my lfs doesn't have any (at least I don't think). The glowlights school nicely in their own tank at the fish shop, and they really glow, which is what drew me to them.

I have a 10 gallon that has 4 Mickey mouse Platys, 9 glofish, 8 neon tetras, 3 blue metallic Platys and 4 Cory cats. Believe it or not I had them all in a 5 gallon tank and they were happy and healthy and they continue to remain happy and healthy in their 10 gallon. The fish are all so small that there is plenty of room for them all. My water parameters are perfect and today my glofish decided to spawn and my Mickey mouse is in her breeder getting ready for litter #3

Do what you feel comfortable with and if you're going to get more fish get a small school of something that will remain small and take it from there. Enjoy your babies!

Wow, I bet they keep you busy keeping water parameters stable. Anyone else got some input? I am fairly new to the realm of fishdom, and I am trying to make sure I don't mess up again. I am contemplating a honey gourami or a school of some sort.

Alright, thought honey gouramis were supposed to stay fairly small.

Anyone else got some advice for some suitable species?

I have a dwarf gourami for sale if you want him. He's REALLY vibrant! And I have two mollies who are buddies (two males) who are also for sale. Here are the two mollies: sorry for gross iPhone quality lol

EDIT: they do NOT have fin rot or ich, the black one is technically a dalmation, but he has some clear/white on his tail, gills, and fins

Attachments

• image-968133443.jpg
    image-968133443.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 56
Here's my dwarf boy :) he needs a good home he is such a character!

Attachments

• image-2754453571.jpg
    image-2754453571.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 59
  • image-2727229205.png
    image-2727229205.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 53
He sure is pretty, I will just have to wait and see how long it takes my darn cycle to finish up. Then I will decide for sure what I will get.

Any other ideas? These are all good ones, I just want to get a broad range of some good companions before I head to the LFS.

I am contemplating taking the platys back (don't know if my LFS will) because they are already about to have fry and I don't know what to do with them. I just feel bad having them and then just giving them back.

I am contemplating taking the platys back but don't know if LFS will. I don't know what to do with the fry, and I would like to have more fish than just 3 platys.

Back
Top Bottom