Play Sand??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ord6531

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got the tank all cleaned and I put some window tint that I had left over on the back side. It look really nice. I bought some play sand at home depot for the substrate, but this morning I was researching it, and I've found mixed opinion about it. Some say don't use it, others say it's fine. (the bag even says aquarium safe). Is it safe? I know it's higher in silica, but I'm not sure if it is harmful for the fish.

Also, I replied to a thread about going to michaels or another craft store for drift wood and other decoration. Again, doing some research, same thing as above. Some say silk plants are fine to use and others say no. Does anyone have opinion about using play sand and silk plants?

There's nothing wrong with play sand. Its just hard to rinse. You will need to rinse small amount for hours.

Sand is sand.

not sure about silk plants at Michaels

my experience with playsand is that the grain size varies a lot and it tends to compact if you make the substrate several inches deep. Rinsing takes a long time, but putting it in a bucket and running water through it gets most of the silty stuff out.

Not my favorite choice for planted tanks, but it does work.

What do you use for plants? I was thinking about doing about 1/4 gravel. Everything that I've read says that sand is better as far as maintaining the tank. Please let me know what you use and your experience with it. I want to have a "perfect" tank (if that is even possible) Lol

Ord6531 said:
What do you use for plants? I was thinking about doing about 1/4 gravel. Everything that I've read says that sand is better as far as maintaining the tank. Please let me know what you use and your experience with it. I want to have a "perfect" tank (if that is even possible) Lol

I have no experience with play sand but have considered pool filter sand?
Many prefer pool filter sand over play sand. PFS is about $5 for 50lb bag at home depot

For planted tanks you can't go wrong with ecocomplete/floramax or aquasoil. If you want to keep things cheap or just like to DIY, look up mineralized topsoil or 'el natural' methods using dirt.

These substrates have a high cec which basically means that they are good at holding/making nutrients available for the plants.

That said, you can get by with straight sand but I suggest adding root tabs at the least.

jetajockey said:
For planted tanks you can't go wrong with ecocomplete/floramax or aquasoil. If you want to keep things cheap or just like to DIY, look up mineralized topsoil or 'el natural' methods using dirt.

These substrates have a high cec which basically means that they are good at holding/making nutrients available for the plants.

That said, you can get by with straight sand but I suggest adding root tabs at the least.

I agree you can't go wrong with all stated above. Only problem you have if you use soil is make sure your tank is heavily planted or you will have issues with algae like I am.

That's not necessarily true. I have several tanks both low and medium light, some sparsely planted and others dense and all have mineralized topsoil in them, no algae issues to speak of. I have heard that using straight potting soil can cause algae in the first month or two though, but I have never tried it, the mineralized method is much better.

jetajockey said:
That's not necessarily true. I have several tanks both low and medium light, some sparsely planted and others dense and all have mineralized topsoil in them, no algae issues to speak of. I have heard that using straight potting soil can cause algae in the first month or two though, but I have never tried it, the mineralized method is much better.

I use organic potting soil and I've been dealing with this issue for over 2 months. It all started once i took out some plants, I also read the same thing about the 2 months but nothing. I'm about to take everything out and just do different biotopes but 1st I have to figure out why I'm not getting any results when I test the water of my tanks.

I just realized I didn't go into much detail about my 'sand' setup. My 70g has been up for about 4-5 weeks and my top layer of substrate is sand. I have about an inch of organic potting soil (straight from the bag) then pea gravel, then sand just to cap it off. My tank is over 50% planted and I haven't had any issues with algae (yet). I don't add ferts or do co2 either.

Back
Top Bottom