Play sand for substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Need a quick yes or no answer please!

An regular childrens play sand be used as a substrate in a freshwater aquarium??

Yes even though I've haven't used it I know others who have. You just need to really thoroughly wash it before putting it in your tank or it will get cloudy. I suggest using pool filter sand instead, may not be as cheap as playsand but still cheap and not as dirty.

It can. Wash it good. I didn't have any problems with mine. It's only muddy in the bucket. Once its in the tank it's great.

I threw my play sand in a big bucket and put the hose in it, went inside did some housework. I think I let it rinse through for a good couple of hours, dumped the water and did it again for a few more hours till the water was clear

Maybe I had such issues with it because of my featherfin cat. As he would scavenge on the substrate, it just became a muddy mess. And I certainly rinsed my heart out prior to using the play sand in the tank...... someone in another forum indicating it could've just been my "brand" of play sand, too.

Just an update I decided to go for it ::YOLO:: it looks really good although the water is a little cloudy ( only about two inches are in it right now ) but I'm holding when I fill it up and out my filters on it she will be beautiful!!

Back
Top Bottom