playsand in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dgso1036

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I was reading threads and someone said they put quikrete play sand in their tank. I would love to put sand, but is this stuff safe for an aquarium? What's some other cheap sand I can put in?

It is safe I have right now but it takes a LONG TIME to clean!!!! Worth it though!

dgso1036 said:
How did you clean it?

Some people do it differently but I just do it with a bucket and rinse it with water repeatedly.

dgso1036 said:
Have you ever used it before?

I have some actual aquarium sand in my tanks. If I hadn't gotton hold of some, playsand was my mext choice. As already stated, wash and wash! Well worth it though :)

Mumma.of.two said:
Pool filter sand works well and is easier to clean. I've used both and prefer the PFS.

I agree^^ PFS is easier to clean.

Does Home Depot or Lowes care pool filter sand or would I have to to to a pool supply store? How much does it normal cost? I'm starting a 55 gallon tank in a few days. How much should I get? I've been reading It's good to have approximately 2-3 inch base. Is this correct or would you guys recommend something else?

dgso1036 said:
Does Home Depot or Lowes care pool filter sand or would I have to to to a pool supply store? How much does it normal cost? I'm starting a 55 gallon tank in a few days. How much should I get? I've been reading It's good to have approximately 2-3 inch base. Is this correct or would you guys recommend something else?

I would say 2 inches is right or 55lbs for a 55G. A pool store will carry PFS I don't think lowes or home depot. They do carry play sand.

Back
Top Bottom