Please advise re unexpected new arrivals...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thank you.
I'm trying to find out in my new condo building may have installed a water softener. Should I perhaps measures salts? Still wouldn't explained why in my last building (apartment building) across town I also had to add vinegar to get ph down to 7, regardless of which test kit I used...mysterious given that the city says they aim for 'optimal'. I am perplexed. I'll check with the local Big Al's and see what they've observed and what they do.
JD

bemused!

This is very interesting.

I had 2 buckets of water, treated, waiting for the tank yesterday. Ph 9-9.5 (as stated above). Not sure what that means, the Ottawa valley has a lot of limestone in it, but is also farmland and quite contaminated water...

To the 5 gallon tank that I've started cycling (fishless), I added a tiny pinch of flake, a capful of Cycle (that I only realized afterwards was 2 years past expiry date!!), and 1/4 tsp of Black Water, so half the recommended dose. I'm using a floss and charcoal filter, but believe I should take the charcoal out and may do so today. I don't care if the water is a bit tinted...

Ph this morning is a beautiful 7! I think it's probably strictly from the Black Water, but I'm not 100% sure. (That makes me think, I have a modest piece of bogwood in there too...Ahah!) This gives me hope about the use of my tapwater...

Water in the buckets, still 9-9.5. No adjustment with overnight evaporation effects...(but no bogwood). These are probably 'normal' events to the more experienced, but I have to say it really brings home the acute sensitivity of the aquatic environment, and is a bit intimidating to a relative newbie. Thank you for being there. I am determined, but reading will only take you so far, and your help makes all the difference. It is my approach to 'front load' clarifying my understanding, so as to avoid actual disaster.

Addition: I've been in touch with a local aquarium society, and apprently they also get 9 out of the tap, with carbonate K of 3. Maybe it's the limestone geology in the river valley?
JD

Last edited:
From your earlier post, I think it's the water treatment that is giving you funky results on the KH and pH. While KH is generally the buffer that keeps the pH steady, there are other buffers like phosphates that can be used as well. I suspect that they are adding one of those other buffers to the water.

I second the 2nd buffer hypothesis. If it was the limestone, the KH would be high as well. Best thing in this case is to ask what the people at the aquarium society do for the water.

It is actually not comforting to see your pH drop from 9.5 to 7 overnight with just some driftwood & black water. That indicates rather weak buffering capacity, and pH swings might be problematic down the road. As a rule, I am not a fan of doctoring water (exception for needing to bump up KH). Far better to get something stable than aim for some mythical ideal & ending up with the pH all over the map.

BTW - too bad about the fallen through deal on the tank .... but it might just be for the best. <A lot less headache to set up the tank properly the way you want, rather than deal with someone else's problem.> .... Also, don't bother with Cycle, never worked for most people even when new.

Quick update--local contacts tell me that this region generally has terrible buffering and a high Ph in many areas. They seem to have acclimated their fish to this, whereas some always buffer using a variety of techniques, or select fish more tolerant. I'll be doing more research while my tank cycles (fishless-ly), so
Thanks for your help.
I think this thread can be closed down now, but aren't sure how to do that...
JD

We generally leave threads open incase anyone else wants to post in them. If no one does, it'll just float farther down the page into oblivion... :)

Good luck on the water!

Back
Top Bottom