Please explain "brackish"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brackish is that area of water between FW and SW. If you think of a FW river flowing into an ocean, it's that area between the river and the ocean. Not as much salt as the ocean, and just enough salt not to be considered FW.

Ok gotcha, Thanks. I heard on here someone talking about adding salt to their aquarium. I would never need to add salt to a freshwater at all right? :?

For brackish tanks, you need to use marine salt. The salt added to normal fw tanks is a bit different and it's not a bad thing to add a little to help with stress. But, no. Unless your using it to treat, I believe it's not really necessary for fw.

Thanks, geez girl where do you keep all those tanks??? I'd love to have a bunch but that must keep you so busy. I stare at the one I have forever, I'd never get anything done with all those to gaze at, hahaha!

I only have one 55 gal but would like a smaller one for a predator, maybe a shark and some crabs or something. It will be quite awhile before I do that though. What can live with crabs in a tank? Not hermies just the little FW black and red crabs.

The thing about crabs/crayfish/lobsters is they will eat anything they can get their hands on... so they are pretty much species only

^ what she said. :wink:
The tanks do keep me busy but, I love it. Just have to space out the maintenance. It's not so bad. :D

ok, so may I ask what is a paludarium?? Can you have a large fish with them? Or better to be alone, maybe put in feeder goldfish. If I do put in the feeder goldfish do I still have to feed the crabs something else too? I will have to find a book on them, they sound pretty neat.

krazymom said:
ok, so may I ask what is a paludarium?? Can you have a large fish with them? Or better to be alone, maybe put in feeder goldfish. If I do put in the feeder goldfish do I still have to feed the crabs something else too? I will have to find a book on them, they sound pretty neat.

Rusty crabs are both freshwater and fully aquatic; however, they are not compatible with many fish (most of which will either be consumed under the cover of dark or consume the crab, as whilst it molts). They may consume feeders, but these do not make for a nutritionally balanced diet - I would also provide a variety of frozen foods and sinking tablets.

A warning as regards printed media: most English-language texts make no specific reference to "Indian rusties", and what little generic information is thus available as concerns freshwater crabs is often obsolete or misleading.

Back
Top Bottom