Please help! 36 gallon bowfront. Never had an aquarium before and need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJandTrey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Being the impulsive person I am, today I went and bought a 36 gallon bow front tank, under the guise of it being a birthday present for my two year old son . After a lot of help from the nice lady at Petsmart, I've got it home and functioning properly as far as I can tell. I followed all the setup instructions that they sent me home with and we're running. Here's the setup:

-36 gallon bow front freshwater (water conditoner and bacteria starter added)
-Aqueon C50 filter
-100kw heater
-decorative wood? fish hiding area
-three plastic plants
-two live low light plants (in the foreground of the tank)

So, my question is, WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE??? What fish do I put in? How many can I put?

I've never had an aquarium before, not even a little goldfish. I have no idea what kind of fish to stock this tank with, and no idea of what I got myself into. I want it to be really cool for my son, and I'm excited about a new hobby.

Any advice would be appreciated. I just don't want to end up having a bunch of burials at sea if you know what I mean. Thank you!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130331_203746.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130331_203746.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 477
  • ForumRunner_20130331_203805.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130331_203805.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 519
First off, you will need to de-chlorinate you're water if that's not done.
Second and most important, you will have to go to a 3weeks-12week process(usually a month) to cycle the tank. Since you have no fish, I recommend doing a fishless cycle, explained here: The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice
Accelerate a fish-less cycle: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/tips-and-tricks-for-your-fastest-fishless-cycle/
If you wish at all cost to get a fish, here is a thread talking about it: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Also, it would depend what fish you want, as some fish are more hardy then other. So just tell me what fish you would like and I could help you as for what you're choice would be.

Last edited:
Before you stock it read up on the nitrogen cycle. You can either do a fishin cycle or a fishless cycle. Someone will post the links to the articles.

Hi JJ!

Great links have already been provided but here's one more that gives a general overview to the fantastic hobby you have now entered: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

In terms of ideas about stocking the best thing to do for now is go to your LFSs (local fish stores) and write down the names of fish that interest you. Then take your list home and RESEARCH! All fish have different needs and requirements and you'll find plenty of great resources online. People at your LFSs may or may not be knowledgeable on these things so I'd advise to always get second and third opinions (online) before committing to buying specific fish. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you want here! (y)

Hi JJ!

Great links have already been provided but here's one more that gives a general overview to the fantastic hobby you have now entered: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

In terms of ideas about stocking the best thing to do for now is go to your LFSs (local fish stores) and write down the names of fish that interest you. Then take your list home and RESEARCH! All fish have different needs and requirements and you'll find plenty of great resources online. People at your LFSs may or may not be knowledgeable on these things so I'd advise to always get second and third opinions (online) before committing to buying specific fish. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you want here! (y)
Great Advice.......

Research. Research. Research. The more you inform yourself about the fish you plan to keep the more they will thrive. I know, it can be long and arduous but your son will appreciate it more to see his fish in happy conditions. Begin by researching along with him what primary fish he would like to keep and then take the reigns and weed out what is/isn't compatible in the tank.

Research. Research. Research. The more you inform yourself about the fish you plan to keep the more they will thrive. I know, it can be long and arduous but your son will appreciate it more to see his fish in happy conditions. Begin by researching along with him what primary fish he would like to keep and then take the reigns and weed out what is/isn't compatible in the tank.
I don't even think his son understands what fish really are...hehe

Thank you all for the great advice. I've been reading on here constantly, and I think I've absorbed some good information. Will be purchasing a water test kit tomorrow so I can check the cycling. Im glad I came across this site. Ill update as I go along.

Thank you all for the great advice. I've been reading on here constantly, and I think I've absorbed some good information. Will be purchasing a water test kit tomorrow so I can check the cycling. Im glad I came across this site. Ill update as I go along.

Make sure you get a liquid one!

I hope you're son enjoy's the result you as well!

Hello and welcome JJ. A few weeks ago I had the same impulse you did :lol:
Unlike you, I didnt think to even pull at the thread of research and am now doing a Fish-in cycle which I now regret as it seems less predictable and more work is involved (though everything is going smoothly all things considered).

This site has been a treasure trove of information and assitance for me. The only advice Id give you is to bookmark this site if you havent already.

Here are some links to sites Ive been using to research fish:
Animal-World, Dr. Jungles Exotic Pets, Animals, Aquariums. Extensive encyclopedia of animal information

PlanetCatfish • home of aquarium catfishes

Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums

Pet Supplies | Dog Supplies | Fish Supplies | Bird Supplies | PetSolutions

And here's a site that can give you a rough idea of how many fish will comfortably fit in your tank and it will toss a red flag if there might be an incompatability with some species youve choosen.
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Also, look online and see if there are any shops nearby that specialize in tropical fish. Ive found their advice more reliable then what I get at my local Petco and Petsmart. Not to say you cant get good advice from these places, but I always feel like Im rolling the dice and as of late I usually end up asking here anyways and seeing if it matches up.

Tank looks nice, btw.... Im kinda wishing Id gone with the bowfront :(
Maybe the next one. :angel:

So it's been a little over a month since I found this new hobby. Had some ups and downs, but we're getting there. I've made some progress and just thought I'd throw out an update. Any advice on where to go from here would be much appreciated.

I ended up doing a fish-in cycle which just just finished. On the recommendation of my LFS I started with 10 Zebra Danios. Below is my current plant and fish list.

FISH
Zebra Danios - 6
Male Betta - 1 (very mild temperament)
Cory Plateus - 3

PLANTS
Anubis Nana - 3
Java Fern - 1
Moss Balls - 2
Wisteria - 10 (have no idea what to do with this, made a mini Cory forest)

I've added some natural driftwood to anchor the Anubis and some Texas holy rocks, one for the java fern. I am currently on the lookout for a large natural piece of driftwood to replace the large fake piece i started the tank with. I've found my wife and I both really like the Natural look. Will also be replacing the two tall fake plants with real as soon as possible.

So, any suggestions on additional fish? I don't even really know what my max could be. But based on the online calculator I'm only about 42% stocked. Also any suggestions on plants I could replace the tall fake plants with. I've upgraded my bulb to a Flora Sun 5000K bulb. It says it has "Peak emissions in the blue and red spectrum regions to maximize the photo-biological processes in plants". Is this sufficient?

Here is the tank currently (Sponge Bob will be leaving, but my son had a meltdown when I tried to remove him the first time. For now he's just perched on top smiling at everyone)

So what now?

image-3432553046.jpg

image-2889655429.jpg

image-362304145.jpg

image-3565505303.jpg

You seem to going along nicely. Patience and research is the key to a nice, happy and healthy aquarium. My advice to you would be stock the tank slowly.....

So im taking the tank slowly but added a couple of residents today. Added a panda cory to hang out with the 3 other little speckled corys. So far he doesn't seem interested in them. It's funny the little guys keep swimming up to him to check him out.

I did have one concern. I added 6 little neon tetras with the panda cory in hopes of getting a more mid water school. They're cool little guys and with their small size my thought was it would still leave me some real estate. However I think they may need a few more in their group and quick. As soon as they were set free after acclimating, my original cycle fish (6 zebra danios), started harrassing the tetras non stop. Each zebra took a neon and they kept chasing them around the tank. I turned the lights in my tank room off and the darkness seems to have settled them down. I didnt know the zebras were so aggressive. Lol my wife got angry at them for picking on the little neons. I'm just hoping everybody is alive in the morning. Do you think adding a few more the tetras will help?

Hoping for the best.

Everyone is alive. I think the neons might have learned how to take care of themselves overnight. Now when the Zebras gang up on one the neons gang right back up and chase the zebras away. Even the grumpy old Panda cory seems to be hanging out with his smaller compatriots this morning.

Still wondering if I should get a few more neons for their school though.

Huge sale at my LFS tomorrow, so I'll probably end up getting something, but mostly all just be finishing up my equipment for my 46 gallon that I got.

So im taking the tank slowly but added a couple of residents today. Added a panda cory to hang out with the 3 other little speckled corys. So far he doesn't seem interested in them. It's funny the little guys keep swimming up to him to check him out.

I did have one concern. I added 6 little neon tetras with the panda cory in hopes of getting a more mid water school. They're cool little guys and with their small size my thought was it would still leave me some real estate. However I think they may need a few more in their group and quick. As soon as they were set free after acclimating, my original cycle fish (6 zebra danios), started harrassing the tetras non stop. Each zebra took a neon and they kept chasing them around the tank. I turned the lights in my tank room off and the darkness seems to have settled them down. I didnt know the zebras were so aggressive. Lol my wife got angry at them for picking on the little neons. I'm just hoping everybody is alive in the morning. Do you think adding a few more the tetras will help?

Hoping for the best.
Yeah I had the same issue with my danios, which I also cycled with, until I added my Kribs. They met their match there...haha. I ended up rehoming the Danios. They where chasing everything else. I'm not sure if they are regarded as aggressive by nature but mine certainly were!!!

Back
Top Bottom