Please help, cycling issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddonaldson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can you please help with some advice. I have been cycling my 125ltr tank for 5 weeks now and everything was going well until a couple of days ago. I have been completing 10% water changed every two days and testing nitrates and the levels were always reasonable. Now however the levels are now really high and I think I may have lost a fish (I was cycling with 6 danios). All the other fish look very healthy and are feeding & swimming well. Tonight I have changed 25% of my water.

At the same time the nitrates rose there is a brown algae forming on my gravel and ornaments. I have my tank light on for 8 hours a day but there is natural light during the day.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• image-3732688691.jpg
    image-3732688691.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 61
Hi and welcome! You've come to the right place to get some help. I need to ask a few more questions though:

So your nitrAtes are rising....what are some of the exact numbers of the Nitrate test over the last few days?
You haven't mentioned ammonia or nitrite readings, which are more toxic than nitrates. Have you tested for ammonia and nitrite at all? If so what are the numbers?
What test kit are you using?

These links might help too:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Hi. Thank you for replying.

I am using Nutrafin Nitrite (sorry not nitrate) water test kit. My levels have been around 0.1mg/ L since I started. The last couple of days have seen in rise to the 1.6 level. After my larger water change last night I retested this morning and would say it is still high between the 0.8 and 1.6.

Sorry I do not have an ammonia test, I have strip test kit but that is not on it. (I think my strips are pretty rubbish though!)

Hi. Thank you for replying.

I am using Nutrafin Nitrite (sorry not nitrate) water test kit. My levels have been around 0.1mg/ L since I started. The last couple of days have seen in rise to the 1.6 level. After my larger water change last night I retested this morning and would say it is still high between the 0.8 and 1.6.

Sorry I do not have an ammonia test, I have strip test kit but that is not on it. (I think my strips are pretty rubbish though!)

Yes. Strips are very inaccurate. You need to have a API master test kit. It tests for ammonia, nitrite nitrate pH and high range pH. It's tests are very accurate and they cost £30 or online £20

Yes. Strips are very inaccurate. You need to have a API master test kit. It tests for ammonia, nitrite nitrate pH and high range pH. It's tests are very accurate and they cost £30 or online £20

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but does anyone know if you can buy just individual bottles for the API Master Kit or do you have to buy a whole new one each time?

Yeah. You need to know your ammonia and nitrite levels.
Or no one can really help, but just make guesses for you.

Also... if you are having algae problems, you can keep the light off for a few weeks to see if that helps.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but does anyone know if you can buy just individual bottles for the API Master Kit or do you have to buy a whole new one each time?

Amazon or any aquatic/pet retailer will sell the individual tests. Just keep in mind the individual tests say 'freshwater/saltwater'- there arent different tests for both fresh and salt water. They are the same tests.

I was just curious, because I really didn't want to keep buying new tests and then have a ton of those little glass tubes.

Just saw on Amazon that the bottles they sell individually come with the glass tubes as well...Oh well.

Well the pet store have sold out of those tests but are getting a delivery tomorrow. I have completed another 25% water change this evening.

Should I be hoovering the gravel? Don't want to remove good bacteria but I do want to remove waste...

Back
Top Bottom