Please help filter broke?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_Fan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey i know its Easter but suddenly my fluval edge 6 gallon filter stopped working. I plug it in and it won't turn on. I checked everything & cleaned it out but idk what to do. I have a spare api filter so thats running in there but im worried but my fish. I recently switched from gravel to sand and i think thats why the filter stopped but what should i do??? Please help anyone its a Hagen Fluval Edge Filter. Thanks

Fish_Fan

Idk cuz pet stores are closed today & the filter was made for the fluval edge tank

Fish_Fan

Maybe sand stuck inside the motor? Have you taken the pump apart and clean the impeller?

Yeah, I have had a filter get clogged with sand and stop working, but then work fine once it got cleaned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes i have just cleaned the impeller & still nothing just ordered a new filter real cheap thanks

Fish_Fan

I took apart the motor and really cleaned it idk what to do???

Fish_Fan

I would just do daily water changes and put an airstone in there until the new filter arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok but do u think the sand is what caused it 2 break?

Fish_Fan

How long did it take to notice it wasn't working anymore?
Sand should not have gotten in unless you were pouring the sand while the filter was running.

The edge have an aquaclear filter, so all you need is a replacement motor for an aquaclear 20.

Usually that motor is un breakable unless you dry run it.

Does the impeller turn when you spin it by hand? (While powered off obviously)

Yes the impeller does turn by hand & i even cleaned it thoroughly but i think somehow sand is like clogging it?

Fish_Fan

I poured sand in and then ran the filter but some sand particles were floating which could've got in the filter

Fish_Fan

The heavy particles should sink at the bottom fairly quickly...

Do you feel anything on the motor? Try dry run the motor. Take it out, put the impeller in and start it. If the impeller turn, and gets stuck you will know quickly.
Also, did you brush the inside of the motor? Where the impeller shaft sits.

I cleaned out the inside of the motor but I'll try the impeller thing thank you

Fish_Fan

It could very well be a burnt motor. It happens...

You can verify how much it cost for a replacement motor, but I would look into getting a complete new Aquaclear filter instead. I've never had an edge, but it looks like it is either an Aquaclear Mini or an Aquaclear 20.

Depending on how close to the bottom the sucker was it probably sucked up some sand and Clogged the motor etc.

You said it didn't turn on though... Maybe a short circuit in the filter itself. There's a method of the cord where if water gets on it it won't run into the outlet by hanging the cord lower than the outlet preventing a short. That or just bad wiring. Maybe water got into the filter motor? I had an AquaClear that randomly stopped working one day and come to find out water somehow got into the entrance whether the cord meets the motor and fried it.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Once your new filter comes, put a pre-filter sponge over the intake. Hopefully it'll prevent sand from being sucked up. I got one at Petco for under a dollar. Also good for preventing fry from going in the filter.

I had a prefilter sponge over my filter because i have some baby RCS in there. I do think it was definitely something with motor, when i try to turn the filter on it gets really hot which can't be good

Fish_Fan

Motor gets hot because it is unable to turn the impeller. At least, it was like this when I had an impeller getting stuck due to algae build-up. But you said you are able to turn the impeller by hand, which sounds like it isn't stuck.

Does the impeller jumps left and right when you spin it? You should feel the magnet trying to get into certain position.

Anyways, just get a new motor or a new filter altogether.

Back
Top Bottom