Please HELP i am very bad at aquascaping.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpencerSova1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So i have had this tank about 2 months now. I am some what new, my dad has a cichlid tank and has had it for about 20 years ( fish changed over the years). But anyways i know some stuff. Right now i have ich which i know what to do and not to do. it is a 25 gal tank and i have 6 tiger barbs and 1 angel ( ik your not supposed to keep them but i wanted to try) . i have 3 amazon swords, some type of java fern and a moss ball, the plants on the right are fake. i have a top fin power 30 hob filter. It is a dirted tank and i soon will change out for black rock. the resin root will be gone it is too hold down the driftwood.I also have some lava rock and some landscaping rock set aside. Im trying to go for a more natural look. Any suggestions would be highly appreciative. Thank you :)

Attachments

• 20160718_105325 (1).jpg
    20160718_105325 (1).jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 127
Why would you not want to keep angelfish, the one you have is awesome ! perhaps you think that the barbs might nip at the long fins, and that is very possible, but i cant think of any other reason why you couldnt keep angels if you want.

Our aquariums should be an extension of ourselves, what is most soothing and enjoyable to each individuals taste, some like myself, enjoy what i think might be most natural in the wild.

Others may choose to add things that have memories attached, such as a piece of wood or rock from a recent vacation where you had a memorable time and want to remember that when you view your tank.

I think the fact that you have decided to pursue the hobby in your Fathers foot steps so to speak is very cool.

No aqua scape is right or wrong, its your hobby, express yourself :)

I'm a girl that can't mix stripes and plaid. That being said the one thing that I do not like is the mix of warm and cool in the tank photo. If all the greys were in there or all the Browns and woods I think it would all go better? You have good pieces but some do not compliment each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Much better. And once that wood stops floating that one rock will be gone. Excellent.

Are you keeping the blue gravel? This a great first scape, and as you gather more and more material. You can create better and better scapes.

No I am going to go for mabey black Rock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For a black substrate, if you think you may one day want plants that go in the substrate, I recommend eco complete. It's not too badly priced at about $20-$25 for a 20lb bag, easily found at petco, online, most fish stores, etc, and you don't have to rinse it, which is a huge plus! It's soft on bellies, which is nice if you want to get some corydoras catfish down the line, and once your fish are healthy again and cured from the ich. :) (Be sure to QT any new fish down the line, to prevent any new infestations :)

Another black substrate option is carib sea black moonlight sand.

Or, there is always black gravel of course as well.

So far though, I think your tank looks great! That is really nice piece of driftwood.

Some tall plants in the back (silk, plastic, or real), would look really nice :)

Thanks bluebetta26 now that I think about it I will probably go with Eco complete and I'll switch it out this weekend and get a couple more plants like you said and I will definitely make sure to quarantine them before I put them in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom