Please help... I have so many questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Went to the LFS with my mom to get live plants and wood, only to have the guy there talk her into fish-in cycling. I wanted to do fishless cycling, but he was skeptical of it and didn't recommend it, so mom went with what he told her... and I ended up with fish to cycle the tank. He said we can bring them back when it cycles and then pick out the ones we want.

I took them home, acclimated them, and all was well. The tetras seem very happy exploring and darting around, though the platies are hanging out in the back of the tank where there are lots of hiding spots, in the plants and wood. They seem fine, but is this normal for them to be a bit shy?

I tried feeding frozen bloodworms to my two red platies and four candy cane tetras for the first time. I thawed them in some filtered water in a cup, and then used a fork to push them down so they'd sink. The tetras gobbled them up as they fell, but won't eat/can't see the ones on the ground. The platies either didn't see or didn't want the food.

What do you do to feed your fish frozen food? Also, what do I do about the bloodworms all over my tank floor and my decor? Should I get some shrimp to clean it up? Can shrimp be in a tank when it's cycling? Also, should I test the water parameters now?

Sorry for my 101 questions... I just want to make sure I do right by my fishies.

~Dreaming in Blue

Attachments

• IMG_6046.jpg
    IMG_6046.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 64
One, I wouldn't trust the guy at the store anymore, fishless cycling has been a thing for at least 13 years on every forum I've been on since I started the hobby, if he hasn't heard of it or doesn't trust it, he's not keeping up with the hobby.

You're going to need to read about fish in cycling and get ready for a lot of testing and water changes for the next month or so. Don't add any more fish (or shrimp) until you get your tank cycled. Any extra food needs to be siphoned out asap too. When I feed frozen I feed small amounts at a time so they eat their fill without it all going to the bottom

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's fine for them to be shy, they're in a new place. Fish have different personalities and may enjoy hiding a bit. Tetras and other middle swimming fish won't eat sinking food usually. They eat it as it goes down, then give up once i hits the bottom. I have cory catfish that eat food off the bottom, but don't put new fish in until you've cycled the tank. I always trust stuff online before I trust the people who work in pet stores.

Welcome! Questions are good. Far better to ask now than after you've lost several fish to ammonia poisoning.

Kind of a cruel thing for that employee to say. Here, take these living creatures to torture until you're ready for the fish you actually want.

And candy cane tetras aren't really beginner fish. They are reasonably hardy, but they need good water conditions to thrive. Platies are less fussy.... I think? I know they are pretty hardy.

You will need to fill out the tetra school once your tank is cycled.

Tetras can eat flakes or pellets. Bloodworms for them would be a treat, and then only feed as much as they eat. Any uneaten food needs to be cleaned up. Did you get a gravel vacuum?

The API master test kit is very good. It's a bit more expensive up front, but per test it's substantially less expensive than strips. At this point, you'll be testing your water daily. You'll also probably need to do daily water changes.

Did you get a water conditioner?

Your tank looks very nice. I like the contrast in textures. I'm sure you can make it a wonderful home for your fish.

I know... I really wasn't pleased with what he wanted me to do, but I went along with it. I'm majorly disappointed in myself for not firmly saying no and explaining all the research I'd done; I was so thrilled about fishless cycling and not risking any fish being harmed, but he acted like I had no clue what I was talking about or like I was being ridiculous for wanting to. I suppose I'll go through cycling with the fish, but be very careful.
I have a siphon gravel vaccum. Not really sure how to use it other than stick in in the gravel and wiggle it around... but I have used it to siphon water out (had a disaster earlier with plant food gravel stuff clouding the tank, so I had to change all the water).
As for water conditioner, I have dechlorinator and some good bacteria stuff, but that's all they said I needed.
I have strips. "API 5 in 1 Test Strips" for GH, KH, PH, NO2 and NO3, and "API Ammonia Test Strips". Will these work okay?
And thank you. :) It's not exactly how I'd like it, needs some tweaking, but I want to create a really pretty tank for my fish to enjoy.
Thank you for all your help as well!

Oh, also, I forgot to add this... just tested my water.
GH- 180 ppm
CH-80 ppm
PH-7.5
No2- 0 ppm
No3- 0 ppm
Ammonia- 0 ppm

Kit says my GH and PH are too high but all else is fine.
GH should be 60 ppm; PH should be 6.8-7.2, according to the instructions.
Is that correct?
How would I remedy this?

A stable pH is more important than a set pH mostly. Your hardnesses seem fine to me. Get through the cycle and then you can decide if it's worth softening the water. The nitrogens are the important thing right now.

The strips will be okay for now. When you use them up, get the API master test kit.

And, yes, dechlorinator was what I meant by water conditioner.

With your vacuum, put it on top of the gravel straight up and down. Let it pull up detritus until nothing else comes up, and then move to another place. You won't be able to do the whole thing, but that's okay since you are cycling.

What's up with my platies?

I'm getting increasingly worried about my platies. They aren't moving much, just sort of hovering in the same spot. They're swimming but not going anywhere. They have been doing this since I put them in, though they swam around a little bit.
Candy cane tetras have been swimming around happily, but lately are hiding in some plants on the side of the tank. They'll dart out, swim around and play in the current from the filter, and then go back in the plants. This repeats.
I'm worried that maybe my water conditions or the shock of being moved are upsetting my platies. At the LFS they were darting around and my bigger one was quite lively compared to others in the tank; my little one was very active as well. Now they look a little stunned.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 55
Going to test the water again this morning, but the candy canes look happy as usual. Still a little worried about the platies, they're moving around a bit more, but yesterday they pooped long white stringy poops and I'm worried it's parasites. I have no clue what kind or how to treat them.

Going to test the water again this morning, but the candy canes look happy as usual. Still a little worried about the platies, they're moving around a bit more, but yesterday they pooped long white stringy poops and I'm worried it's parasites. I have no clue what kind or how to treat them.
PraziPro. Don't waste your time or money on anything else. I speak from experience there.

Yes, poop that looks like spider webs is a sign of parasites.

I hope there's another LFS in your area, because the one you went to seems like a dud.

Ughhh... I apparently live in a ghost town when it comes to good fish stores! The one I went to is an hour away and the best I can find in my area. They're usually great, but I don't know what was up with that one employee. The only other place I can think of is like two hours away.
To treat them, do I dose the tank or do they have to come out? I don't have another tank (tried to convince my mom to let me get a quarantine/hospital tank, she said we wouldn't need it, and NOW look what happened)...
And are my candy canes at risk? (I figure they are, but wanted to check).

Attachments

• IMG_6052.jpg
    IMG_6052.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6047.jpg
    IMG_6047.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 51
Looking at those pictures, you might be facing constipation. Give the fish one or two shelled peas.

I stick frozen peas in the microwave for 30 seconds and then use a garlic press to mince and peel them. Let them cool a bit then feed them a bit at a time.

However, once the spiderweb poop starts, the parasites are pretty contagious. Treat the whole tank.

Okay, thank you. What size bottle do you think I'll need for a 26 gallon? They have so many sizes.

Pretty good. I got medicine and treated the tank and the fish seem to be doing better. I test the water daily and it looks okay, no ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. It stays the same each time I test.
I'm still upset about losing the platy, but to be honest it was sick from before I got it and I had a feeling it might have been ill at the store. When the guy was netting fish, all the others swam away to hide, as normal, healthy fish do, but that fish kinda just sat by the plant and then swam right out in the open by the net and let itself get netted. It was odd, and I wanted to say I wanted another fish because a fish that had no self-preservation is probably sick or just not that smart, but I didn't say anything.
The other platy is surprisingly doing better now that his companion is gone. He got annoyed when the other one followed him around the tank; he seems to like going solo. The medicine might have made him feel better because even though he's still a little shy around me, he now swims around happily, gobbles up brine shrimp, and explores the caves in the rocks instead of just floating in the plants like he did before.

Back
Top Bottom