Please help stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boomer2244

Aquarium Advice Freak
Need some help with suggestions for my new tank. I am taking my 55g and splitting it horizontally so that I can have frogs living above the water and fish below(I've done this before and used to work at a zoo) I have no problems with the frogs but as far as the fish I can't figure out any other options. I dont wanna have the normal neons, danios, or the "common" fish.The only thing I know is that in the remaining 24.5g I wanna have a school of bloodfin tetras(cause my wife likes them. So please any suggestions would be highly appreciates.

I already know they have sufferer need and I know all about the toxins they can produce all I'm trying to figure out is what other schooling fish I can keep in the 24.5g left other than the normal common tank fish

What kind of frogs..?
I have a few rosy red minnows with my FBT and I do PWC often to remove toxic build up. The minnow make it look natural and my set up looks like a river bed. If you have FBT (assuming you do because you mentioned toxins) then I think it would look pretty weird with neons or anything colorful butthats just IMO.

So, will the frogs be separated from the fish by a hard barrier so the fish can't get to them? Just asking because if they 2 will never meet, I will suggest some bigger fish. :)

The frogs will be red legged walking frogs and they will be separated by a plexiglas shelf like barrier so light can get to the water on each of the "self" and the shelf will be held up by 2 plexiglas prices with circular cutouts for the fish to swim through all will be siliconed to remain in place

OK, in that case, I suggest a fish that likes horizontal movement. I know you said you weren't interested in common things like danios, but have you ever seen purple passion danios? They are gorgeous little guys and are not too common. Threadfin or praecox rainbows? Golden wonder killifish? There are a bunch of other killis too, but I am not too sure about more exact species.

Thanks for the suggestions I've been also considering celebe's rainbows

Yes other tetras r also there. buenoaires tetra,serpae tetra,widow tetra are grt. Beside this u can think of tiger berbs.good schooling fish to watch.

Are there any tetras or other types fish that school together
Are you asking if there are species that will school together without a full school of their own? For example, are you asking if you can get like 1-2 of a bunch of different kinds of tetras and have them school together?
Or, are you just asking about a species of tetra that will school together with its own kind?

I was wondering if Different species of tetras would school together and if so which ones

I was wondering if Different species of tetras would school together and if so which ones
Sometimes they will if they look similar, but in general, they prefer to school with their own kind. Cardinals and neons will school together, my red eyed tetras schooled with my rummies sometimes, but the rummies weren't too thrilled about it. If you have a full school of one tetra and a spare tetra of some other species, the spare will often try to join the other school, but again, they typically prefer to school with their own species if possible. I don't usually see (for example) 6 random tetras of different species schooling together though.

Ok I was wondering If I had say 6 bloodfin and 6 silver tip tetras or some kind of combo like that if they would school together but as far as your saying I guess they won't but maybe 2 schools if similar shape, size and/or color would

Ok I was wondering If I had say 6 bloodfin and 6 silver tip tetras or some kind of combo like that if they would school together but as far as your saying I guess they won't but maybe 2 schools if similar shape, size and/or color would
Yeah, its unlikely that they will school together. Besides, silver tips are not very tight schoolers. Mine are a bit chaotic. I know you were just giving a "for instance," but still. :)

Ok and what would be a good centerpiece other then a dwarf groumi or an apisto? I can't normally find them and when my lfs has them they are pretty expansive any other suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom