please help with stocking levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JBennett5437

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all let me just say i am a beginer and have had a tank set up for about ten days it has a supmersible power filter rated at 55 gph a pre filter sponge for the power filter whitch is a aquaclear rated at 100gph and live plants anyway this was my stoking idea

6 or 7 blue tetras
6 or 7 zebra danios
3 corys
2 a pair of rainbow fish/ or blue goruimes

in the tank now

4 blue tetras
4 zebra danios

you guys think it is to much to littel or about right thanks for the help

please forgive bad speling and grammer i have dyslexia although i am 25 years old.:sad:

The tetras and danios, is the 6-7 additional to the 4 you already have or a total when done?
General rule is 1" of fish per gallon of water (adult size)
Blue Tetra=2" (I would count as 1" myself)
Zebra Danio=2" (very active and want alot of room to swim)
Blue Gourami=4"
Rainbow=2" to 6" depending on type.

Gouramis are very territorial so you may only want to get one.

Zebras and tetras like to shoal or school together especially if there is a larger fish in the tank.

so is 6 considered a shoal or more than 6? also do you guys think i have adquate filtration i tested the water and ph/hardenes/nititre/nitrate and amonia came up normal. however i did not experance a bactrial bloom and am wondering if the bactria is working.

dont know much about rainbow fish or gouramis but i do know that a 20g high tank wouldnt have enough surface area for 3 cories unless you get pygymies (cant spell)

so is 6 considered a shoal or more than 6? also do you guys think i have adquate filtration i tested the water and ph/hardenes/nititre/nitrate and amonia came up normal. however i did not experance a bactrial bloom and am wondering if the bactria is working.
Did you seed the tank with a bacteria source?
10 days is not long enough to cycle a tank that was not seeded well.

no i did a fish cycle whith danios the first week then tetras the second week but the water test said everthing in normal levels any way do you peple have any other fish that you would stock in my tank. thanks for all the help

no i did a fish cycle whith danios the first week then tetras the second week but the water test said everthing in normal levels any way do you peple have any other fish that you would stock in my tank. thanks for all the help
Maybe a couple of Otto cats or a Bristlenose pleco.
But I would not add any more fish until your tank is cycled.
You are still reading good on your water test because it has not been long enough with your current light stocking to build up any bad amounts of amonia. Your cycle hasn't even started yet.
Without seeding the tank it will take 6-8 weeks to cycle or longer.
Adding more fish now will make it that much harder to keep your parameters safe and try to prevent deaths.
I am sorry if I sound harsh but those are the facts and I don't want to see you have a bunch of bad problems with your tank.

so you think i should wait 6-8 weeks before adding anymore fish? do you think that a shoal of 6 tetras and 6 dainios is about the max or can i keep more fish in there.

Back
Top Bottom