Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evan20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 common plecos and i bought 2 yesterdy an there 3 inch and one 7 inch and i cant get the small ones to eat and i bought them from petsmart an there bellies are really caved in and how can i get them to eat and can plecos eat like slugs,worms,shrimp,etc?

Hi and welcome. Unfortunately you aren't going to be able to keep these fish long-term. They can grow to 1-2 feet and need a massive tank, at least 2-300 gallons.

Also did you cycle the tank prior to getting the fish? If not you'll have ammonia issues very quickly. I suggest you read this: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

and this http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

SInce the fish may already be sick and the tank probably isn't cycled and they need a larger home anyway I suggest returning them, cycling the tank first and in the meantime research proper fish for your tank size. Good luck.

I just bought an aquatic plant and theyre stomach looks better and can they eat small worms

Evan20 said:
I just bought an aquatic plant and theyre stomach looks better and can they eat small worms

They may eat some frozen thawed bloodworms.
BUT as I said before, veggies and greens should be their main diet !!!

What kind of small worms are you talking about ???

No worms from your yard !!!

Test your water ASAP. Your tank is not large enough for one. They will be stunted if you try to keep them for very long.

Veggies and driftwood is what plecos need. And your tank is too small for common plecos. I would suggest a bn or something that stays smaller.

Evan20 said:
Blood worms and waxworms

Waxworms are probably too fatty. I'd avoid those. Did you read the article I linked ???

Zucchini and Romaine are two of the best choices. NOT worms. Occasional bloodworms is fine.

So we've answered the worm question. Your Plecos should get over a foot long each and can live over 20 years, but not raised in a 30gal tank.

Pick appropriate sized fish (adult size) for your tank and your fish will thank you.

Here they are

Attachments

• image-3949669286.jpg
    image-3949669286.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 59
  • image-3652384689.jpg
    image-3652384689.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 65
  • image-1875662303.jpg
    image-1875662303.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 63
Back