Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2017, 03:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Pleco Aggression

I have a 210 gallon freshwater tank. I have been keeping fish for as long as I could remember. I always have fancy plecos. Well today I came across a new problem in the 15+ years in keeping fish. A little back story. I have a 2.5 inch Blue Phantom pleo and a 3 inch Vampire Pleco. I introduced a Three Beacon pleco after quarantine of 3 weeks. I have lots of drift wood and hiding holes/caves for them to hide in. About 3o minutes after introducing the Three Beacon I found the Vampire pleco and Three Beacon having a death match fight. I have seen plecos fight before but never this severe. My tank now has a barrier to separate them until I can get my other tank (150 gal) back up. Any suggestions as to help resolve the aggression? I also have a Golden Nugget pleco in quarantine tank they did not fight. I did notice however that the Three Beacon is the one starting the fights with the Vampire Pleco.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:18 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Was it just for a spot? If so there should be one winner and the other goes to another spot I've found. If one is chasing the other all over the tank, might have to rehome one if it doesn't settle down would be my thought.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Found this on PlecoPlanet
"Compatibility: As long as enough hiding places are offered, the L91 is a fairly peaceful and unproblematic fish that can be kept with a wide variety of fish.
3 Beacon plecos can be kept solitary as well as with its own kind or other robust bottom dwelling fish. If a small group of these fish are kept together, it's very important to assure that all fish have enough room to set up territories of their own, and that enough hiding places (plants, rocks, wood) are present. If not, this generally peaceful fish can become stressed and develop a rather nasty, aggressive disposition towards its own kind as well as other bottom dwellers - and because of its impressive set of teeth it can inflict serious, sometimes even fatal injuries!"

Fatal is bad

PlanetCatfish says:"Gets on with small lively catfish but avoid too many other larger bottom dwellers (unless space permits) due to the territorial disputes"

So maybe Vampire Pleco was too similar in size/shape ??
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aggression, plec, pleco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com