Pleco choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FMJnaX

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,

I'm looking in to getting a pleco in the near future (maybe more like in 2-3 months: after I'm positive my tank is cycled and the bout of HITH is gone). I was over at LiveAquaria trying to match up some potentials. From the following list, what would be best (opinions or facts, it doesn't matter) in my tank?

My tank is a 29 gal (glass) with a single 3" (including tail) Ryunkin goldfish. For filtration, I have an AquaClear 200 and a Penguin 100 (just over 10x turnover rate). I'm using small aquarium gravel (30 lbs) for substrate and a piece of artificial driftwood. For plants, I have about 6 bunches (4-6 stems each) of Anacharis and I have 4 "fake" plants. The water is at a constant 78F, but on a hot day without the A/C, it goes up to roughly 81F. (Yes, I know that gold fish are coldwater... but I rescued this guy from my outdoor pond and had to put him in a tank.).

So, with that being said, here's the list:
Candy Strip (L135)
Bushy Nose
Tiger (L02)
Zebra (L46)
Gypsy King (L66)
Golden Stripe (LDA20)
Snowball (L102)
Angelicus (L05)
Net (L037)
Yellow Prince (L72)

Price really shouldn't be an issue, but I don't want to spend too much. Probably no more than $30 (which throws out the Golden Stripes, and possibly more).

Like I said, I'm open to anything: opinion or fact.

Thanks!

Well, considering your price range and the limitations on tank space, one of the dwarf plecos seems in order.

You could go with albino bushy nosed plecs (don't know what prices or availability are in you're neck of the woods). They stay in the small range and do well in the temps you mentioned.

BTW - How's the eye socket doing?

I was wondering this very same thing this morning, although I'm wondering about more fish in the 'lower section' of my tank; cories, otos and rummies seem to have taken that area over.

Still, I think there's a place for a pleco, or, perhaps not. :shrug:

Ya know, I guess I'm just not too fond of the bushy nose look, or at least on the LiveAquaria list. Perhaps if I take a look at some more photo's I'll be more inclined to want on.

As far as price goes, I'm really not sure. I'm just trying to test the waters and see what people here seem to like (which seems to be the busy nose) and what others would think could go in my tank.

I've always wanted a pleco and wasn't going to put one in with my goldfish, but just about everyone I talk to says that a pleco would work perfectly fine. Escpecially since my goldfish is an all-around dweller.

Jchillin: Thanks for askin about the HITH problem. I'm very pleased to say that he is going to make it and is a strong little guy. I got rid of the white poop probably 2 weeks ago, or close to it. I'm still feeding with the Jungle anti-parasitic, but only as a 1/2 supplement. I'm not going to take any chances in this coming back until I know for sure that the parasite is gone. His head is pretty sunken in, but it's healing over. Of course he lost his eye, but it hasn't had any effect that I can tell. He's still able to hit his food on the mark and isn't disoriented at all. If anything, I think he's ashamed or something because whenever anyone looks at him, he turns that side to the back so that nobody can see it. I've had to take him out of the tank just to examine it. I've been doing PWC's every other day up until last saturday. Crystal clear water. Ammonia is at 0, Nitire is at 0, Nitrate is at 15 (it was 30 until I added the Anacharis from my growing tank).

So anyway, the little guy is probably going to survive just fine and I'm super glad that I went for the save.

Oh, and thanks for the pleco suggestion all!

They are several reasons for people favoring the BN. It has everything to do with the size and what it will do for you in regard to scarfing up leftover food. Most plecos grow to huge proportions.

It's great to hear that he is recovering so well. Yeah, maybe he is sensitive to his injury and doesn't want to have folks gaping at it. :D But, if he isn't disorientated, he has adjusted quite well.

I have a clown pleco. Most of the day he stays attached to the only piece of driftwood in my tank unless he sees all the other fish feeding and he wants to find something to eat. Other than that he only comes out when I turn the lights out. It's too bad because hes a cool fish and I don't get to see him too often.

FMJnaX, I'm so glad to hear that your goldfish is doing better! I'm sorry about his eye, but it's good that he has adjusted and has no feeding or other problems related to it.

Some bristlenose plecos give me nightmares! :lol: But I've read, and seen pictures, that the male is the one with the larger, more numerous bristles, and the female has only a few, very short bristles.

I'm finding a lot of mixed information/pictures about the bushy nose. I've read that the bushy nose and bristle nose are the same thing... and I've also read that they're different. Interesting reading though. I did find an awesome picture of a bushy nose "chocolate". If I knew they all looked like this, then I would have my choice right now. They were selling this for $8.00, but are currently out of stock.
http://www.neptuneaquatics.com/images/AncistrisChocolateLongfin.jpg.

I'm not going to go to any LFS to look around because, knowing me, I'll make that impulse buy and will end up with a mislabeled pleco that is going to outgrow my tank. I've got 2-3 months to make the decision so I want to make it a good one.

Bristlenose = Bushynose. Sometimes the names are interchanged. Bushy nose is a nickname for them.

That link is a gorgeous fish. I didn't think I needed to mention how lovely they are (since I assumed everyone already knew this).

Now that you know what to look for so far as the bristles are concerned, you will not mistakenly buy the wrong one. Only bristlenoses have bristles (just like ruffles were the only potato chip to have ridges). :D

Jchillin said:
...I didn't think I needed to mention how lovely they are (since I assumed everyone already knew this)...

I had no idea! I just saw the picture at live aquaria and was like "WHOA, no way!" I'm over at www.plecofanatics.com and have seen that most of the bushy/bristle nose pleco's more closely resemble my latest linked pic and NOT that of the L.A. image.

I'm still in a toss-up between a couple, but I can honestly say that this has moved to the top of the list.

I'm becoming partial to the zebra's... but I don't really ever hear of anyone talking about owning one. Any thoughts on these? So far, it looks like a toss-up between a bushynose, clown, and zebra.

Bushynoses are actually the prefered pleco among goldfish keepers simply because it is great at getting rid of algae and stays small. Pitbulls, which I believe are also called rubbernose plecos, are fairly popular with goldfish keepers also since they can also tolerate cooler temperatures. krap101- I believe all plecos eat a little wood and that is why it is suggested that plecos be provided with some driftwood.

Actually pitbulls are a smaller pleco only getting to about 2". Rubbernosed are also refered to as bulldog plecos.

Pleco Choices

You could do worse than getting a Smowball Plec.

Just got one recently and its stunning. Lovely fish and remains under 6", which is always handy for those looking for a plec that won't outgrow their surroundings. :D

Good Luck with your hunting.

So I know the Zebra is out of the question ($150... if you can find one). The Clown is also out of the question because of the high wood intake requirement. Bushy/bristlenose is still at the top, provided I can find one I like. The pitbull is also on the list.

I don't have an algae problem.... and probably won't ever have much. My tank is 100% cycled. Never had diatoms (or at least I couldn't see them). I never had cloudy water or green water. Just a nice, straight cycle with crystal clear water. As a result, I'm not looking for a pleco for functionality as the primary reason.

Back
Top Bottom