Pls make suggestions for 29gal freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NancyLeeEdwards

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just bought my first tank...29 gallon. Will be adding live plants and maybe some wood pieces (working AquariumPlants.com to come up with a design).

So now I need advise on picking fish. I prefer less fish, bigger sizes...and I like fish that interact with their people.

I prefer fish that eat fish food....I don't think I'd emotionally do well with fish that need "live" feeder fish.

Suggestions please...thanks in advance

NancyLeeEdwards said:
Just bought my first tank...29 gallon. Will be adding live plants and maybe some wood pieces (working AquariumPlants.com to come up with a design).

So now I need advise on picking fish. I prefer less fish, bigger sizes...and I like fish that interact with their people.

I prefer fish that eat fish food....I don't think I'd emotionally do well with fish that need "live" feeder fish.

Suggestions please...thanks in advance

First off welcome to AA secondly have you cycled the tank yet or do you plan on doing a fish in or fishless

Nothing in the tank as yet...I plan to cycle...which I understand means adding water then waiting a few days to add fish?

NancyLeeEdwards said:
Nothing in the tank as yet...I plan to cycle...which I understand means adding water then waiting a few days to add fish?

Cycle means the nitrous cycle wich means you build up bb (beneficial bacteria) the bacteria breaks down ammonia into nitrites then into nitrates basically making the water safe for the fish give those articles a good read

I see from your links that cycling could take something like a month to do....I'm okay with that....want to do this right, and do it once....besides if I have plants in the aquarium at least it will look nice while I wait.

NancyLeeEdwards said:
I see from your links that cycling could take something like a month to do....I'm okay with that....want to do this right, and do it once....besides if I have plants in the aquarium at least it will look nice while I wait.

That is true and plants help alot too with cycling do you have a test kit most of us here use and trust the api master test kit i highly recommend this kit

So I'm doing this timetable correctly? Tank, plants, add water, cycle for a month, test water daily....then order fish that "play well together"....?

So I guess I'm a little pre-mature in my fish selection....If it takes a week to get plants, then a month to cyle...I'm 5 weeks away from fish...that's okay...took me 58 years to get here..I can wait a few more weeks.

NancyLeeEdwards said:
So I'm doing this timetable correctly? Tank, plants, add water, cycle for a month, test water daily....then order fish that "play well together"....?

So I guess I'm a little pre-mature in my fish selection....If it takes a week to get plants, then a month to cyle...I'm 5 weeks away from fish...that's okay...took me 58 years to get here..I can wait a few more weeks.

If you can get some established media from another tank that will help alot also need an ammonia source either fish food or pure ammonia dosed to 4ppm make sure the ammonia is pure with no additives once you get readings of ammo 0 nitrite 0 nitrate between 10-40ppm that means your cycled

NancyLeeEdwards said:

Don't forget that you will also need a source of Ammonia to cycle the tank.

ACE ammonia is trusted by alot of USA folk on here for cycling a tank.

You can also use raw shrimp and fish flakes at a push.

Jon

in my experience, my flame dwarf gourami would eat flakes from my fingers. thats as far as it will interact with me, other than that it wont bother coming up to the tank when I look at it.

Don't forget that you will also need a source of Ammonia to cycle the tank.

ACE ammonia is trusted by alot of USA folk on here for cycling a tank.

You can also use raw shrimp and fish flakes at a push.

Jon
It looks like there is ammonia in the API Master Test Kit...oh wait, maybe that's to test for Ammonia. I'm assuming I can pick up ACE ammonia at Pets stores?

NancyLeeEdwards said:
It looks like there is ammonia in the API Master Test Kit...oh wait, maybe that's to test for Ammonia. I'm assuming I can pick up ACE ammonia at Pets stores?

No ace hardware is where you would find it at

Back
Top Bottom