Polyfiber media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Speed

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm starting up a new tank, along with 2 other smaller tanks already running. Someone suggested polyfiber & I checked it out. Seems to do a good purpose so gonna try it. Question is, if I have HOB filters with carbon filled cartridges, do I replace the carbon filled cartridge with these or do I cut to size & squeeze it in there somewhere with everything else ?

Couple of options! You can stuff it anywhere there's free room or you can empty the carbon out and stuff the bags with it. If you have cartridges, you can fill these with poly, too. :)

Couple of options! You can stuff it anywhere there's free room or you can empty the carbon out and stuff the bags with it. If you have cartridges, you can fill these with poly, too. :)

Oh. Thanks did not know that either. I learn more here everyday than I ever did in high school :)

Yeah stuff it anywhere it fits it's very pourous BUT traps all the fine debris that manges to get past the sponges, biomedia, chemical media bags, etc. I started using it in my planted tank and the amount of detritus floating around has decreased significantly. The only thing is it needs to be replaced frequently depending on your load. On the other hand it's extremely cheap to come by (michaels/ craft stores) so it's not a big deal to change it out unless you have a canister like me which requires a little time to replace.

Unless your water smells bad or you are trying to remove meds you have used, charcoal is NOT neccessary. Most aquarist learn it's not needed as they get better at water maintenance. I haven't wasted my money on it in 30 years. The filter foam/floss and bio-media are the only two filter parameters you need. OS.

I just stuff it in behind the cartridge as it's easy to pull out and replace as needed.

LOL funny bs. Indeed, many things in this hobby aren't easy. But when you get older like me and River, you look for all the "easy" you can get. Not just in fish either. Hee Hee OS.

Aquarium Media

I'm starting up a new tank, along with 2 other smaller tanks already running. Someone suggested polyfiber & I checked it out. Seems to do a good purpose so gonna try it. Question is, if I have HOB filters with carbon filled cartridges, do I replace the carbon filled cartridge with these or do I cut to size & squeeze it in there somewhere with everything else ?

Hello Speed...

I use only the mechanical and biological media in my HOBs. I've found if I follow a good water change routine, I don't need chemical medium (carbon). Water changes are the most important thing you can do to maintain the health of your tank. As long you remove and replace half the water in the tank about every week or so, your plants and fish will be fine.

B

Hello Speed...

I use only the mechanical (ammonia bag) and polyfiber (biological) media in my HOBs. I've found if I follow a good water change routine, I don't need chemical medium (carbon). Water changes are the most important thing you can do to maintain the health of your tank. As long you remove and replace half the water in the tank about every week or so, your plants and fish will be fine.

B

I'll go as far to say that even ammonia bags are unnecessary. With a good amount of biomedia your BB colony should keep ammonia under control, with much less maintenance in regards to replacing the media. Of course water changes are pinnacle regardless.

Aquarium Media

Don't want to cause confusion, so will correct my earlier typo. In case there are new water keepers. The mechanical media is the polyfiber, which I would recommend a couple of companies: ACUREL and HBH have a good product. The biological media is the ammonia bag. Which is pretty helpful in purifying the tank water. The waste material produced by the fish is primarily ammonia and very toxic to aquarium fish, especially damaging to the sensitive gill tissues. Anyway, please excuse my error. Someone likely caught it.

B

Don't want to cause confusion, so will correct my earlier typo. In case there are new water keepers. The mechanical media is the polyfiber, which I would recommend a couple of companies: ACUREL and HBH have a good product. The biological media is the ammonia bag. Which is pretty helpful in purifying the tank water. The waste material produced by the fish is primarily ammonia and very toxic to aquarium fish, especially damaging to the sensitive gill tissues. Anyway, please excuse my error. Someone likely caught it.

B
Are ammonia chips not considered chemical media? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

B

Thanks for the good info. I'm starting to think I'm making this alot harder than what it is, granted it is quite complicated but I'm slowly catching on. I think I've tried to buy everything that someone recommends & stuff in my hob's & I'm out of room lol. I've got the bio- filter in all tanks that came with the filters, carbon filled cartridges, polyfiber pads, & ceramic rings (bio-max) lol. I can't hold anything else ?. I'm trying to stay on top of the water because it seems I have 3 uncycled tanks. That part is driving me insane. I'm constantly checking & changing water ( did I mention THREE tanks lol ) plus I'm losing fish & seem to have a ick outbreak. Ready to trade these dern fish in for a poodle lol

Back
Top Bottom