Polyfil in filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The tank I have was free. I'm setting it up and I'm noticing the filter has no beneficial bacteria insert. My question is can I use all Polyfil inside the filter. The filter is a standard aquaclear hob filter that comes with the Wally-world 55 gallon kit. Also is ployfil a generic term because all I have to use is pillow filling that they sell at Wally-world. Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can use ALL polyfill inside the filter.
Beneficial bacteria will grow on any surface in the filter media.
However, when you clean your filter (monthly) - only change half your polyfill each time.

If you are concerned about beneficial bacteria. Aquaclear SPONGES are extremely effective.
You can put 2 in your aquaclear filter (e.g. 2 sponges + Polyfill). It will become both a mechanical and biological media.

I would also recommend the use of the sponge inserts for AquaClear filters as they last for many years and are very effective. polyester floss compacts when you try and clean it and loses it's effectiveness as bio media, but is very good as a fine filter material that you toss when cleaning the filter.

I do intend to get a sponge insert. I just REALLY need to start the cycling process on this 55 to get my five commons goldfish out of there twenty ( I know the rules of goldfish stocking thank you ). The quicker the better. Thanks for y'alls help guys.

Back
Top Bottom