Pool filter sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keegster803

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if pool filter sand works for sand substrate for my tank

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Indeed, pool filter sand is an excellent inexpensive substrate. It has a larger, more uniform grain than play sand.

Just make sure you rinse it really well.

Ok, cuz I have a pool store like not even a mile away from my home, lucky me

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes indeed. I used it as my substrate and really like it so far. The only issue I have is that some of it is turning brown due to diatoms. But I don't think that's the sand's fault. And yes, rinse it very thoroughly and you will have no problems with cloudiness.

Pool filter sand is great, it's sifted so the grain size is relatively uniform and doesn't compact like play sand. If you want a darker colored substrate look around for Black Diamond or Black Beauty blasting grit. It's actually coal slag, no silica so no diatom bloom, and works as well as pool filter sand IME. Also dirt cheap and easier than sand to rinse, just get the largest grain size. I've had it in my 220 for several years now, and have never had gas bubbles or anaerobic pockets even with several inches deep.

I only use and recommend Estes marine sand. It requires no cleaning, no maintenance, comes in color options, and costs the same as gravel.

+1 on pool filter sand. My fish are much happier since the switch, especially considering I have 11 cories. It also looks so much nicer. The grains are smooth and uniform and heavy enough that they don't reach the filter intake when stirred up.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414643187.429908.jpg

Back
Top Bottom