Possible Hydro Sponge Filter Problem? Big Problem or Little Problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frank15

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have the sponge in the tank, connected to an air tube, cylinder in place, that seems to be working... I'm not sure how well, though.

Normally, the bubbles stream, or whatever it's more properly called, comes out from all four of the "holes" in the plastic part. After a while, though, the bubble stream starts coming out of only two holes more and more often until I reposition the sponge, where the stream starts coming out of all four holes again... until it starts coming out from only two holes again. I have no fish in the tank yet, but I'd obviously rather not reposition the sponge every day after the fish come in to have it work properly.

So first question: is this a major problem with the filter's effectiveness? Or is it just a noise problem, since it's a lot louder when the air isn't streaming out of all four holes?

And second question: does anyone know what's causing the air to not stream through all the holes properly, and is there a way to fix it without manually repositioning the sponge daily, since I'd rather avoid that once I have fish in there? Thank you!

The four "plastic connector" holes are pretty big, in comparison to the sponge holes, at least. Considering there are no fish in there yet, I have no idea what would possibly be clogging them, much less the sponge itself. Either way, it doesn't look like anything is clogging those four holes. Unless it's being clogged by something I can't see....

Hmmm, I wonder if an air bubble is getting trapped in the holes from laying a certain way, and not letting the new air come thru? I hope that makes sense lol.

Hmm... sounds possible. If that's the problem, I wonder what I can do to minimize that, though.

i think you are stressing too much. air goes down... air goes up creating flow that sucks water though the sponge and up the tube. its really just a bio media if you hook up a pump it will clean the water a little more too.

All of mine only have one stream of bubbles that go straight up the central tube. Between the tube and the filter there are holes or slots (depending on who made them)that permit water flow thought the sponge. The movement of the bubbles cause water movement.
If you post the make or model of filter we can give specific advice, but from your description it sounds like something might be off.
You can search youtube for sponge filter to see some in action.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom