Possible problem with female bettas....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
The two female bettas I brought home yesterday had been doing fine together. I have just started noticing that the white/pink one is starting to chase around the dark blue one unmercifully and nipping at her. The only other small tank (2g) that I could move one of them to is the tank that I have my lone surviving red cherry shrimp in. Should I give it a while and see if the white one calms down some, or plan to move the blue one soon? The 2g also is one I pulled out from storage just to house the shrimp in, so it is probably going to go through a cycle and I would hate to put her through that! What should I do??

How many plants do you have? I know they can be like gouramis... until you break up their line of sight they will chase each other relentlessly. You could try adding some more plants in the center to make a 'divider' and see if that helps. I've never kept bettas so I'm not too sure. Time will tell... :)

I finally had to separte them today. The white one was just really on the blue one. I noticed her even doing this type of herding behavior with the other female. She would move her into a corner by using her sides and then start chasing her. The blue female was starting to look really stressed, so I took her out and put her in the other tank next door....unfortunately that is where my lone red cherry shrimp was. I doubt he/she will survive :(

When I was considering female bettas for my tank, someone told me to buy three or more rather than two, in order to avoid aggression. I don't know if adding more would help at this point, but your post made me remember this advice, and I thought I'd mention it in case others can chime in with advice or experiences.

If you test your water to make sure your parameters are OK, you can do a small water change on the second tank to keep the ammonia down if it spikes. But in a tank that small with one plant and some java moss and only a cherry shrimp (and now a betta), it might not be too bad. The light ammonia load may be carried by the plants.

Bettas and shrimp are OK together. If there's a light over the tank, turn it off to keep the stress down. Fish recover well when they can decompress in private. And without that other betta nipping and chasing, she should be fine.

When I was considering female bettas for my tank, someone told me to buy three or more rather than two, in order to avoid aggression. I don't know if adding more would help at this point, but your post made me remember this advice, and I thought I'd mention it in case others can chime in with advice or experiences.

Yes, this is very true. With female bettas, ideally you want to have either one in a tank, or else "a bunch." When you have two, then the scenario described by the original poster is all too common; the dominant one constantly harasses the other one. Whereas if you have a group of them, there are more fish to "spread out" the aggression. They may scuffle with each other for a few days when they are all first put together, but they are only doing that to establish the "pecking order" and then they all settle down with a minimum of any aggression after that.

For the time being, it sounds like you did the right thing by separating them. Depending upon the temperment of the betta with the shrimp, the shrimp may survive--or may be lunch by tomorrow. My guess is if the shrimp can last 24 hours with the betta without getting eaten, then he will be fine.

Another thing about female bettas, they are notoriously individualistic. It is really hard to make too many generalizations about their behavior because each one tends to be so different from the others. One will gobble up all the flake food in the tank, another will decide she's going to refuse flake food entirely. One will spend 95% of her time swimming just under the surface of the water, another will spend 95% of her time at the substrate pretending she's a cory. One will spend most of her time at the absolutely farthest part of the tank from any current, another will boldly swim in & out of a filter current repeatedly for an hour or more at a time.

And yes...one will decide having tankmates is a perfectly fine thing, while another decides the entire tank is going to be "hers" and any other betta in it is an intruder. :-| While probably 90% or 95% of female bettas can be kept in a tank with a whole group of other female bettas without problems, (and indeed will be very happy and thrive being in a big large tank with company), there is always that 1 in 20 who just seems antisocial and will never be happy unless she is in a tank all by herself--even if that means being alone in a tiny 1 gallon thing. It's just the way they are.

So if you have a tank big enough to do it, you could probably buy another 3-4 more female bettas and maybe they would all get along just fine. Or, you might do that and discover that one pink one you have is just a particularly antisocial one who is going to need to be in a tank all by her lonesome in order to be happy.

Please keep us informed how things progress.

Thanks JohnPaul for the detailed explanation. Of course, no one at the lfs said anything about any of that.....but, then again, they had about 6 females in a one gallon tank.
Yea, I think I did the right thing. The fiesty one stayed in the 2.5g and seems perfectly happy and the other little gal went to a 2g. Although I am not sure if the shrimp survived :( I haven't seen him/her since day before yesterday. It was very hard to see it anyway, then I added more java moss and it was really hard to see. So, it might have become a tasty snack for her.
One thing I am slowly remembering and loving about fish is their individual personalities. I can't dislike the female that is more aggressive, that is just her nature. She is beautiful too. She really does have blue eyes also! I would love to see what the offspring of her and one of my other male bettas would like like, but I have read enough now to know that I don't think I want to endeavor breeding of bettas. :)
Thanks again, for replies everyone. I was really worried about them yesterday. But, both are happy today. Oh yea....the tanks they are in are side by side and yesterday after I separated them, I had to put a piece of paper in between the tanks because the one fiesty gal was still trying to get to the other female....funny.

boy am I glad for your post, I have been thinking about geting some female bettas and have been really reluctant.. but a "school" of them may help keep my guppy
population down and add a lot of interest to that tank... hmmm

She sounds like she just doesn't want to play nice with others...

Back
Top Bottom