Possible solution to vacationing and fishless cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaiah12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all.

I am at the end of my fishless cycle. However I am headed to Denver for a few days this weekend and I want to make sure my cycling bacteria gets its food! So I set up a simple drip system based on a few math equations to keep my tank fed with ammonia while I am away. I am testing it out tonight to see if it works.

Basically the run down. It is a bottle full of concentrated ammonia and water mix. I did not want to use pure ammonia quite yet in the testing phase as to not overdose. The water mixed with the pure ammonia is based on the amount of ammonia per oz to get water up to 4ppm, then multiplied against my volume of my aquarium and then dosed accordingly in a 16 oz bottle and set to drip very....very....slowly. Right now I have it dripping at 1 drop per 10 seconds just so I can test it in two hours and see how it goes. If this is successful. I should be able to sleep easily knowing my bacteria buddies are getting some food. Let me know what y'all think, maybe many of you have tried this ?.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1469072150.306135.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1469072168.417196.jpg

Ps, probably secure that water bottle somehow, I'm using rubber bands.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

But I didn't have shrimp at the time :D I had a water bottle, ammonia and a little bit of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Seems to of kept my ammonia at a steady 1ppm so yes

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom