Post-Cycle Stall??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanS180

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, im a little confused as to what my tank is doing right now. Not making any sense to me. On 6/21 my tank was fully cycled(started Fish-in cycle on 6/2).

Since 6/21 my ammonia & nitrite have been 0ppm. Since then my Ammonia has always been 0, same with my Nitrites. Nitrates have floated from 40ppm down to 5ppm.(with PWC)

Then my ammonia bounced up a few days later to .25ppm and Nitrates were at 5ppm. I assumed the ammonia was a false reading from the Tap water conditioner so i let it be. 2 days later my Ammonia was at .50ppm and my Nitrates magically disappeared. So i did a 50%WC and tested later that night.

My ammonia was at 0-.25ppm and Nitrates were at 0-5ppm. Nitrites 0ppm. Following day everything was at 0ppm except Nitrates (0-5ppm).

For the next 2 days thats how the numbers stayed, until yesterday I vacuumed the sand and did a 60% WC. Now my numbers are all 0ppm. Im not getting a reading on anything. Tested twice since the PWC(once after refilling last night and once after i got home today from work at 5.

Can anyone tell me why i have no Nitrates now when at one point i had 40ppm?? I thought i was on top of things and everything was running smoothly but apparently not. HELPP!!!!!!

API Master Test Kit is brand new, doesnt expire til 2017!!!

No nitrates isn't a bad thing. IF you can keep them undetectable, great. As long as you're getting 0 on ammonia and nitrate, and staying within a reasonable range on nitrate (less than 40ppm for the majority of fish), you're fine. Only exception is if you are keeping a planted tank, and you'll want some nitrate then.

I am keeping live plants in there lol figures, i thought my plants may have been sucking up the Nitrates possibly??

I am not a plant expert but you do need a food source for your plants. I do know very low/zero nitrate planted tanks are dosed with some degree of nitrates. I would ask in the planted section for more specific advice. :)

jetajockey said:
That's correct. If the plants are utilizing the nitrates faster than the fish produce them then it may be worthwhile to dose enough kno3 to maintain a low level.

Kno3? I'm new to plants as well so I have no clue what this is lol

Potassium nitrate. I have no experience with using this because I have decent amount of nitrate from my tap & messy fish so a lack of nitrates is never an issue. I believe seachem makes a flourish nitrate product, too. But I'm sure there's other options as well. Hopefully, Jeta can point you in the right direction! :)

Back
Top Bottom