Potting soil.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrMalta

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can I use a normal black potting soil made for outdoor gardens in my planted aquarium?

Also, where can I get pool filter sand? In the GTA the Rona's, Home Depots, etc. don't sell it.

You would want to use the stuff that has no fertilizers or anything in it. It's going to be the cheapest dirt that you'll find. It's also a good idea to remove as much of the organics as possible to prevent an ammonia spike followed by Green Water.

Pool Filter Sand would be available at a pool supply store.

Thankyou.

Another quick question. The tank that I'm doing this for is a 10 gallon. So I was thinking of getting a Biowheel filter and replacing the bio wheel with an established one from my larger tank. But - in this 10 I wanted to have RCS and I'm afraid they will get sucked into the intake of the filter (the fry anwyays). Is it possible to convert it into a sponge filter as well as getting the benefits of carbon filtering? Or should it be ok the way it is?

Or should I scrap the whole idea and just get a sponge filter? I'll also have neon tetras in this tank.

Or should I scrap both ideas and get a canister filter?

It's goiung to be a 10 gallon planted with RCS and neon tetras.

I'd be more worried about the neons eating the babies than getting sucked up by the filter. Best filter with shrimp will always be a sponge filter. Really no need to run carbon in the filter if you go with either a HOB or a Canister. For a HOB I'd go with an Aquaclear instead of a BioWheel, there's very little proven benefit from BioWheels and if you ever go highlight with injected CO2 you'd need to remove it to prevent gassing off all the CO2. I think it's really a judgement call between a HOB and a Canister, with a Canister there are many reports of shirmplets living happily in the filter and being returned to the main tank during maintenance. In either style of filter if the shrimp goes through impeller, it's unlikely to make it.

So I don't need carbon in any of my planted tanks?

I think the Aquaclear would be good then 'cause it will be injected with CO2. I just don't want them to get sucked in that. :(

Back
Top Bottom