Power head for freshwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firebird5134

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm in the process of cycling a new 16 gallon bow-front. I'm curious if I would need a small power-head for the tank?

This is also my first post, this site has been extremely useful for information on a new tank. I had no idea about fishless cycling until I found this site. I was always told by petco and petsmart just setup the tank and come back tomorrow for fish.

Welcome to AA!!!

You find a much better advice here then pet stores and some fish stores IMO, after awhile you can tell if they know what they are talking about.

What kind(brand/size) filter are you using on the tank?

Normally for a smaller tank you only need water movement from the filter, depending on type/size

mini as in AC 20, should be just fine by itself for that tank. Some of this stuff is personal preference but most suggest 5-10x tank turnover per hour. So this filter would be ~6x turnover which is fine as the AC filters are a good filter.

Like I said it should be just fine and personally I would just run that, you can always upgrade to a AC30 in the future or add a powerhead if you want more flow later on.

Some fish seem to not like a lot of current(bettas), while others are from rivers so its not an issue.

All this said, many feel that you cannot over filter a tank

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom