Powerhead placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

natalieb2017

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. I have a power head hooked up to my under gravel filtration in a 29 gallon tank. What is the best placement to direct the stream without creating a wind tunnel? I have 4 black phantom tetras and they seem to be having issues swimming. It is directed to the left along the back wall just being the filter leg. Is it possible to overpower a tank or fish?

It is possible to have too much water flow for many types of fish. Long-finned fish aren't really built to swim well in a current.
Does your power head have a flow control? If so, you may want to turn it down to its lowest setting.
Is there a particular reason that you feel you need a power head in that tank? Your under-gravel filter will work as well with an airstone placed at the bottom of the filter plate via a plastic tube. I would advise, however, that you use another filter system in addition to your under-gravel filter; maybe a HOB filter.

I do have a hob filter. It's a penguin 350. I don't like bubbles. And I had a head on my tank years and years ago. I don't recall it being a problem. I have a1200 unit. I may see if the store will swap it for a 900. It has a deflector that seems to make it worse. But I can't adjust the power of the flow.

Thank you for the response

Is the UG's tube in the right rear corner? If so, would pointing the power head to the front right corner help (meaning, provide areas with lesser flow on the left side of the tank)?
Not sure what your power head looks like, but if the output resembles a tube or nozzle, would it be possible to fit a filter intake strainer or even a spray bar on it (to spread out the flow)?

Back
Top Bottom