Pregnant platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kenny1984

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I'm new to the site I have a few questions.
I had 2 female platy one who has been pregnant since I got her 5 weeks ago I can see the black spot but she has never got really big I was wondering if there maybe a problem with her? Just got a male red wag tail in the tank with them now he won't cause her to abort the fry will he ?

She will get huge and square like when she is close to birthing. The new male will not hurt her if she is with fry. As long as there are more gals than guys things will go pretty smoothly. Now that you have a male in the tank expect babies within 30 - 40 days, one of you gals will be ready by then.

He can pester her enough to abort the fry if she feels threatened too much.. males will follow and harass the pregnant females on hopes for a free meal. Most times the female will hold on to them but there is the small chance she will drop early. But there's a higher chance the baby's will be eaten as soon aas they are released. Its your choice to seperate the fry of let nature take its course. The mother will eat the fry as well. You can try the breeder box with seperator it just let the fittest survive.

Back
Top Bottom